• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail keeps stopping

I seriously don't think 4PSAs backup has anything to do with the problem.

And not if Sw-Soft has confirmed the problem... :)

I don't think it is directly related either, but was suggesting that since Pagemakers mentioned it running the backup. To alleviate his suspicion (not sure I'm getting the correct word, too tired)

I use 4PSA's Total Backup and Client Backup all the time and have never had any problems with them.

That is also why I said 'could just be coincidence' :)

I was only thinking that if something was turned off during the backup then an error could be triggered.

Only happened on one of our 2 server though....

.........From Plesk about the IMAP issue:

Yes it's possibly relative to the courier-imapd daemon. Because it runs as a standalone service, instead of qmail that invokes by xinetd superserver. Thanks for the additional information, we will pass it to our developers, and we will let you know when we get any news from them.

qmail && courier-imap

Hi all,

I have the same problem.
When the server is poped a lot, qmail is not responding on port 25. Qmail still running (qmail-send in ps auwwx), but not responding to telnet on port 25 and no smtp in "netstat -ta".

/etc/init.d/qmail restart make nothing
/etc/init.d/inetd restart make nothing

After reading this thread I've stop courier-imap before restarting inetd and qmail was ok. Then I start courier-imap.

But few minutes later port SMTP wasn't up anymore. I've got to do all this operations again.

Best regards,
Hugues

What was odd was that qmail would stop responding on port 25, but I also have Submission open on port 587 and it was always active whe 25 wasn't. Anyway, I disabled Watchdog last Friday and haven't seen any qmail restarts in the log so that fixes it for now.

Also, when Watchdog was active, I could open the watchdog screen and see the green "Polling" icons, but after I clicked on a service to modify it, all the fields were empty. After filling the fields and saving, polling was disabled again for all services. I'd say there's a few bugs in it. As for the rest of my upgrade to 7.5.4, everything else works fine.

Well I am partially relieved to know that this is an issue with Plesk and not something that I had done. Has anybody figured out a temporary solution? My Qmail will stop about every 2 days or so and I have to manually start it again.

weird logs

Sep 1 22:34:22 ns qmail: 1125606862.210714 alert: cannot start: qmail-send is already running

Sep 1 19:45:10 ns qmail: 1125596710.075883 alert: cannot start: qmail-send is already running

Theese are the answers in my log file each time I manually have restartet my QMAIL, I'll think it's time for SW-soft to think, test, and then release the produkts, not the orther way around as I'm felling is happening at the moment.

I'm running FreeBSD 5.3 whit Plesk 7.5.4

Seems to be a problem with WatchDog, turning off this module solve the problem but... wont be better to test things in test servers not in our servers! :mad:

Fedora CORE 2 PSA 7.5.4

Looking forward for an update...

Well, yesterday I used the Updater to update the base packages of Plesk. I don't know if a patch for this bug was included in there or not. I am not going to turn the module back on until it has been confirmed.

This is my reply from Plesk Tech Support regarding this issue.

25 port is listened by xinetd, so even qmail is stopped, xinetd still answers.
As workaround you can replace the:

check host qmail with address localhost

line with:

check process qmail with pidfile /var/run/qmail.pid

in /usr/local/psa/etc/modules/watchdog/monitrc.tpl. So watchdog will check qmail pid file instead of the port and reports Qmail failure properly.

Hello,

i have the same problem on all our VPS Server with Plesk 7.5.3 included:

QMAIL stops working for exactly 10 minutes. After this time it starts and process all mails. After this it stops again!

What is this?
On our normal machines without Virtuozzo, mail is sending and getting immediately and qmail is not stoppng. It is only on Virtuozzo Nodes!
Any idea?

I submitted a ticket, but i get no answer for this problem!
My customers are not ready with this long delay.

On VPS servers, they do not have Qmail running full time. Check your cron list, you will see a cron job (can't remember the name now) which runs every 10 minutes, which cycles Qmail to run.

There was at least one other post in the last month or so regarding this, and gives the name of the cronjob script, and a workaround to change it to fulltime Qmail running.

http://forum.plesk.com/showthread.php?threadid=25814

interesting ... i had the same issue with qmail..... and after i tuned off watch dog problem seemed to be fixed.

my problem is after i upgraded to the newest plesk upgrades my mail lists stopped working correctly.

anyone else having issues with the mail list?????

Eric

Originally posted by Pagemakers
Plesk tech support sait it would be fixed in 7.55
They really need to get this patched asap. Did they give you any idea of a release date?

So is disabling the watchdog for SMTP (Qmail) working for everyone?

adam

I had a very similar problem on Plesk 7.5.3 under Virtuozzo. QMail would work fine for a while after the VPS had been rebooted, but would eventually choke and die. When this happened, it would not respond on port 25, and looking at the processes on the machine (ps -A) showed hundreds of entries named "qmail (defunct)". After much frustration at the hands of my hosting provider's inept tech support, we finally figured out that it was Tomcat that caused the problem. What was happening was that Tomcat would eat up all available kernel memory on the VPS, even though it wasn't being used for ANYTHING. Once available kernel memory hit zero, qmail and/or BIND would barf out and the only cure was a reboot. Once I disabled the Tomcat service (I don't use it anyway), everything went back to normal.
Hope that helps!

There is no /var/run/qmail.pid when qmail is running on my system. I'm having the same issue where qmail is stopping every few days and I have to `/etc/init.d/qmail restart`

Interestingly I'm seeing in the /var/log/messages:

(see around the middle when qmail fails to restart)
Sep 20 20:47:00 somedomain ntpdate[5781]: step time server x.x.x.x offset 0.088675 sec
Sep 20 20:56:46 somedomain xinetd[16003]: Exiting...
Sep 20 20:56:46 somedomain xinetd: xinetd shutdown succeeded
Sep 20 20:56:46 somedomain xinetd: xinetd shutdown succeeded
Sep 20 20:56:47 somedomain xinetd: xinetd startup succeeded
Sep 20 20:56:47 somedomain xinetd: xinetd startup succeeded
Sep 20 20:56:47 somedomain xinetd[6169]: bind failed (Address already in use (errno = 98)). service =
ftp
Sep 20 20:56:47 somedomain xinetd[6169]: Service ftp failed to start and is deactivated.
Sep 20 20:56:47 somedomain xinetd[6169]: bind failed (Address already in use (errno = 98)). service =
poppassd
Sep 20 20:56:47 somedomain xinetd[6169]: Service poppassd failed to start and is deactivated.
Sep 20 20:56:47 somedomain xinetd[6169]: pmap_set failed. service=sgi_fam program=391002 version=2
Sep 20 20:56:47 somedomain xinetd[6166]: bind failed (Address already in use (errno = 98)). service =
ftp
Sep 20 20:56:47 somedomain xinetd[6166]: Service ftp failed to start and is deactivated.
Sep 20 20:56:47 somedomain xinetd[6166]: bind failed (Address already in use (errno = 98)). service =
poppassd
Sep 20 20:56:47 somedomain xinetd[6166]: Service poppassd failed to start and is deactivated.
Sep 20 20:56:47 somedomain xinetd[6166]: pmap_set failed. service=sgi_fam program=391002 version=2
Sep 20 20:56:48 somedomain qmail: qmail-send shutdown succeeded
Sep 20 20:56:48 somedomain qmail: Starting qmail: failed
Sep 20 20:56:48 somedomain xinetd[6169]: Service sgi_fam failed to start and is deactivated.
Sep 20 20:56:48 somedomain xinetd[6169]: bind failed (Address already in use (errno = 98)). service =
smtp
Sep 20 20:56:48 somedomain xinetd[6169]: Service smtp failed to start and is deactivated.
Sep 20 20:56:48 somedomain xinetd[6169]: bind failed (Address already in use (errno = 98)). service =
smtps
Sep 20 20:56:48 somedomain xinetd[6169]: Service smtps failed to start and is deactivated.
Sep 20 20:56:48 somedomain xinetd[6169]: xinetd Version 2.3.13 started with libwrap loadavg options c
ompiled in.
Sep 20 20:56:48 somedomain xinetd[6169]: Started working: 0 available services
Sep 20 20:56:48 somedomain xinetd[6166]: Service sgi_fam failed to start and is deactivated.
Sep 20 20:56:48 somedomain xinetd[6166]: bind failed (Address already in use (errno = 98)). service =
smtp
Sep 20 20:56:48 somedomain xinetd[6166]: Service smtp failed to start and is deactivated.
Sep 20 20:56:48 somedomain xinetd[6166]: bind failed (Address already in use (errno = 98)). service =
smtps
Sep 20 20:56:48 somedomain xinetd[6166]: Service smtps failed to start and is deactivated.
Sep 20 20:56:48 somedomain xinetd[6166]: xinetd Version 2.3.13 started with libwrap loadavg options c
ompiled in.
Sep 20 20:56:48 somedomain xinetd[6166]: Started working: 0 available services

Back