• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

reboot failed server down

M

manos

Fedora core 2
Plesk 7.5.4

I ' going nuts.:mad:

After some (serious) problems with qmail apparenty solved (which involved renaming queue to queue_old and starting qmail again) I tried to delete queue_old which contained some gigabytes of waste data.

So I did a rm -f -r queue_old and waited for an hour or so until the connection of putty timed out.
I went back to Plesk cp - everything worked fine but I could not see the difference (more free hard disk space) in server statistics.

So I tried rebooting the server (through Plesk). After that the server hasn't come online again (8 hours now).
Since I am thousands of miles away from our rented server I don't now what happened.

Any clues - help ?

I thought that if you deleted/renamed the queue folder, you were supposed to recreate the folder structure, not just restart qmail.

If you can SSH into the server, you may be able to check things further.

If you cannot access the server by SSH, then the only other option would be to contact your DC tech's

No you got me wrong I did everything that had to be done and the problem was fixed (reinstalled qmail and dependencies, restarted qmail). If fact YOU helped me a lot. The new queue was created automatically a couple of weeks ago. This was not a problem (I could see the new queue folder and structure). Qmail was working fine

I just wanted to delete the old queue because it was huge, when this happend.

Is there something wrong with the command (rm -f -r queue_old )

Maybe the command hadn't finished executing when I tried to reboot trough Plesk (putty connection timed out)

What happens if this is the case?

Any ideas?

Kind of a rip off paying $300 for support. Is this a dedicated server or collocated server?

If its Dedicated most DCs in their right mind don't charge you for support because its their equipment.

They don't charge me for reboots but they will charge me for hands on work on the server....

Hrm..ok...

Not sure how to fix the problem except running fsck, but you would have to have someone at the server do that...and since you cant get on the server and it wont reboot then I dont see a way out of not having to pay for support. They will have to do hands on work with the sever to fix it so theirs $300 right their.

IMO..Get a different Data Center with reasonable prices.

Back