• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Remove "what's new" from the "desktop"?

T

Tormente

is there any way to disable/remove the "What's New in Plesk 8.2" news articles that show up on everyone's "desktop" when they log into the control panel?

I have managed to remove all other spam, but I don't want clients to see this either! Yet it's right in their face when they log in!

in mysql I found psa.newsarticles with the following tables:

WhatsNew800
WhatsNew8_1
WhatsNew8_2

I'm tempted to delete these, but says they contain binary data and am affraid that I'll crash the control panel by removing it.

Any one know if I can safely remove the psa.newsarticles tables? or any other way to disable the "What's New"?

Thanks for any info.

Yes, what is the answer? I am frustrated because I have a need for ease and it has been very difficult finding a way to remove this "news"

You need to edit the style sheet of the desktop by editing the desktop.css file.

To find out your default skin, log into your plesk cp, click on Server (left side), under Control Panel click on Server Preferences, remember what your Default skin is.

Now ssh to your web server and edit the file:

/usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/skins/<default skin>/css/main/desktop.css

Eg: If my default skin is aqua, this would be the path:

/usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/skins/aqua/css/main/desktop.css

To turn off news feed, edit desktop.css and either add in or change #dBox-news_articles to:

#dBox-news_articles {
display: none !important;
}

Hope that helps...

Andy

Automation script

I'm so fed up with it I made a little bash script to automate the news removal in all skins using the above mentionned method (it backups the files, just in case you want the ads back). Tested with Plesk 8.3
Feel free to add more items to it, it could be a basis for a more complete Plesk marketing removal tool ...

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Remove filthy marketing "news" from Plesk (all skins)
#
# Use in a cron job to prevent the skins from being 'updated'
#
# V 1.01 by another disguntled Plesk customer

for i in $( locate /css/main/desktop.css | egrep '/psa/admin/htdocs/skins/.*/css/main/desktop\.css$' ); 
 do
  if test -f $i
   then
    result=`grep 'display: none !important;' $i`
    if [ "$result" == "" ]
     then
      d=`date +%F-%T`
      echo $d' - Removing filthy marketing "news" from Plesk in skin '`echo $i|cut -d'/' -f8`
      cp -f $i $i.$d
      echo '#dBox-news_articles {' >>$i
      echo 'display: none !important;' >>$i 
      echo '}' >>$i
     fi
   fi
 done

Note: The above code was modified on July 27 to prevent a loop condition with the backups.

Back