• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Restarting Backup Upload To Remote Storage After Connection Failure?

J.Wick

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Rockey Linux 8.7
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.49 Update #2
Is there a command I can issue to re-attempt the upload to remote storage when the connection fails without having to restart the whole job all over again?

screenshot.png

I am not entirely sure as last time I tried must be 4 or 5 years ago. What you definitely need to do is to export the backup structure into a single file. This can then either be downloaded or uploaded to ftp. The file can be exported to ftp directly.

I think this should work:
1) Logon to your Linux console.
2) Find the XML file of the backup.
# grep dump-specification /var/log/plesk/PMM/<backup log directory of your backup>/*
yields something similar to
Code:
backup.log:[2023-02-10 07:23:58.712| 6573] INFO: pmm-ras started : /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/pmm-ras --delete-dump --session-path=/usr/local/psa/PMM/sessions/2023-02-09-231415.812 --dump-specification=backup_info_2302092315.xml
3) Export the local backup to ftp
# plesk sbin pmm-ras --export-dump-as-file --dump-specification=<dump specification file from step (2)> --dump-file-specification=ftp://<ftp username>:<ftp password>@<ftp host>/path/to/your/ftpbackup/area

If others know more, feel welcome to add corrections.

Last edited:
I am not entirely sure as last time I tried must be 4 or 5 years ago. What you definitely need to do is to export the backup structure into a single file. This can then either be downloaded or uploaded to ftp. The file can be exported to ftp directly.

I think this should work:
1) Logon to your Linux console.
2) Find the XML file of the backup.
# grep dump-specification /var/log/plesk/PMM/<backup log directory of your backup>/*
yields something similar to
Code:
backup.log:[2023-02-10 07:23:58.712| 6573] INFO: pmm-ras started : /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/pmm-ras --delete-dump --session-path=/usr/local/psa/PMM/sessions/2023-02-09-231415.812 --dump-specification=backup_info_2302092315.xml
3) Export the local backup to ftp
# plesk sbin pmm-ras --export-dump-as-file --dump-specification=[B]<[I]dump specification file from step (2)[/I]>[/B] --dump-file-specification=ftp://<ftp username>:<ftp password>@<ftp host>/path/to/your/ftpbackup/area

If others know more, feel welcome to add corrections.
This would be a great feature to add to the Plesk Backup: a button next to failed uploads to re-attempt the upload.

This would be a great feature to add to the Plesk Backup: a button next to failed uploads to re-attempt the upload.

@Peter Debik

I could not agree more with @J.Wick !

In addition, Plesk Backup should be handling hidden directories and files a bit better, as opposed to spitting out error notifications for specific files/directories (and remarkably, for other hidden files/directories, the error notifications are absent).

Also, please note that the Backup to Cloud extension did not handle time-outs and/or throttling on the cloud side very well - this was an issue of the past, but I am not really aware whether these issues have been resolved or not.

For the remainder, Plesk Backup is a basic but excellent tool ...... so the suggestion from @J.Wick is a very good one!

Kind regards....

Also, I'll add my other complaint that Plesk Backup misses files not declared in the web folder. For example, technologies like Mautic, or SuiteCRM that use 'pub' or 'docroot' folder in the main install folder such as

domain.com/subdomains/mautic/docroot

Everything in the mautic folder is not backed up, only the docroot folder which is set in the subdomain properties.

You can't fully restore this subdomain because of this.

I may have to move to Acronis backup to solve this.

Also, I'll add my other complaint that Plesk Backup misses files not declared in the web folder. For example, technologies like Mautic, or SuiteCRM that use 'pub' or 'docroot' folder in the main install folder such as

domain.com/subdomains/mautic/docroot

Everything in the mautic folder is not backed up, only the docroot folder which is set in the subdomain properties.

You can't fully restore this subdomain because of this.

I may have to move to Acronis backup to solve this.
@J.Wick

Can you provide an abbreviated sample of the directory structure?

In essence, it is better to foscus on what is not backed up - this helps identifying the cause thereof.

Nevertheless, I am not sure whether this is a bug : it can be very well related to the installation setup (or even default backup policy native to Plesk).

For instance, could you be so kind as to check whether an installation in

a) domain.com/subdomains/test/mautic, with test.domain.com being the (sub-)domain,

b) newdomain.com/subdomains/mautic/site, with mautic.newdomain.com being the (sub-)domain and site being the new installation directory,

is associated with the same (backup) problems?

Kind regards....

@J.Wick

Can you provide an abbreviated sample of the directory structure?

In essence, it is better to foscus on what is not backed up - this helps identifying the cause thereof.

Nevertheless, I am not sure whether this is a bug : it can be very well related to the installation setup (or even default backup policy native to Plesk).

For instance, could you be so kind as to check whether an installation in

a) domain.com/subdomains/test/mautic, with test.domain.com being the (sub-)domain,

b) newdomain.com/subdomains/mautic/site, with mautic.newdomain.com being the (sub-)domain and site being the new installation directory,

is associated with the same (backup) problems?

Kind regards....
It's any folder under the Document Root folder set in Plesk in Host Settings

Example:

Instead of having subdomain1.domain.net, subdomain2.domain.net, etc., floating around the root directory, I place them all in the folder subdomains.

For Mautic, it's in subdomains/hello/docroot where only the files in docroot are backed up. All the files in subdomains/hello are not backed up.

Make sense now?

Plesk backup needs to backup every file and folder from the account's root directory.

Back