• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Restore error: There is not enough space on the disk

JulianP

Basic Pleskian
When restoring a backup on Plesk 12, the error below is generated for some sites and the sites are only partially restored. Although the message talks about disk space, there is in fact plenty of free disk space - i.e. many GB. The backup was created on Plesk 11.5. The restore on Plesk 11.5 works.

Is this a known problem?

I noticed that all the failed domains exceed the disk space allowed by their Service Plan. However, the 'Overuse is allowed' setting is selected. Strangely, I tried changing the Service Plan and retrying the backup and restore, and the same errors were generated.

<object type="domain" name="domain.com">
<object type="hosting" name="domain.com">
<message code="CantUnpackDomainContent" severity="warning" id="f3946c79-7ae2-4be2-8300-ba766bea7869">
<description>Can not deploy content of domain domain.com</description>
<message code="IRepository::StreamError" severity="warning" id="e3c0c080-5536-4d18-b6d3-6c8fc4e1171d">
<description>Archiver error: unable to extract files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\Backup/clients\customer\domains\domain.com/backup_domain.com_user-data_1412121514.zip. System.IO.IOException: There is not enough space on the disk.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.WriteCore(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.IO.FileStream.FlushWrite(Boolean calledFromFinalizer)
at System.IO.FileStream.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
at System.IO.Stream.Close()
at plesk.pmm_dotnet_proxy.ArchiverImpl.UnpackFile(ArchiverImpl* , IPSAUnpacker zip, String filePath)
at plesk.pmm_dotnet_proxy.ArchiverImpl.UnpackImpl(ArchiverImpl* , IPSAUnpacker zip, String destinationManaged, function&lt;bool __cdecl(std::basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt; const \&amp;)&gt;* shouldUnpack, vector&lt;std::basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt;\,std::allocator&lt;std::basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;* unpackedFiles, basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt;* subdir)
at plesk.pmm_dotnet_proxy.ArchiverImpl.Unpack(ArchiverImpl* , basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt;* path, vector&lt;std::basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt;\,std::allocator&lt;std::basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;* files, basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt;* destination, ArchiveFormat format, vector&lt;std::basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt;\,std::allocator&lt;std::basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;* unpackedFiles, vector&lt;std::basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt;\,std::allocator&lt;std::basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;* includedItems, vector&lt;std::basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt;\,std::allocator&lt;std::basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;* excludedItems, basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt;* subdir, basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt;* user, basic_string&lt;char\,std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;\,std::allocator&lt;char&gt; &gt;* password)</description>
</message>
</message>
</object>
</object>

Just for clarification - do you have location of vhosts on D: or E: disk instead of C:? Have you checked quotas on OS level?

1. Open the My-computer window, right click/press and on the NTFS formatted hard disk 'C', and click/tap on Properties.
2. Click/tap on the Quota tab, and click/tap on the Show Quota Settings button.
3. Click/tap on the Quota Entries button.

There are no other drives, just C

The server is running Windows 2012, so Windows Explorer has 'This PC' instead of 'My Computer'. On the Quota tab, 'Enable Quota Management' is checked, 'Deny disk space to users exceeding quota' is checked, 'Do not limit disk usage' is selected. Clicking the 'Quota Entries' button, (which I guess replaces 'Show quota settings' button') shows there are no accounts exceeding their quotas.

There are other sites that use more space and are not failing, but they use different service plans. So I don't think the problem is quotas, unless Plesk 12 is utilising the native Windows 2012 disk quota system to enforce limits?

This is a completely new install of Windows 2012 and Plesk 12, with nothing else installed except a few utilities like TextPad, 7Zip, FileZilla, and no customization apart from some regionalisation to UK. I haven't enabled quotes.

Restoring the same backup on Plesk 11.5 worked. Then it was possible to upgrade to Plesk 12. I recommend anyone else with this problem takes this route.

However, I think Parallels should fix this problem because backup and restore needs to be reliable, and error reporting needs to be more informative. Random undiagnosable errors are the last thing you need when you're in the middle of an over night server migration or worse, disaster recovery.

I can only recommend to create a request to support team to do in-depth investigation to find the reason and to fix it. Please create a ticket to support at https://odin.com/hcap/support/request/ .
You may have free support, please check what kind of Plesk license you use for available support options at http://kb.odin.com/en/121580 .
If there’s no free support in your case, you can order Plesk per-incident support at http://odin.com/hcap/support/buy-support/. Support team will contact you as soon as purchase is processed, and they will do the best to resolve it.
If it is found that your problem was caused by product bug w/o available solution or workaround from Parallels, then your purchase will be re-funded.

Hi Julian,

Did you ever got it fixed? and if so what was the problem? i'm having the same problem with one of my domains

I was using backup & restore to migrate from a Plesk 11 server to a new Plesk 12 server. Migrate and upgrade in one go was asking for trouble. In the end I migrated to another 11 server, and the backup/restore worked. Before doing so, I increased the service plan limits so none were exceeded, at least during the restore. Later, I upgraded the destination server to 12.

Back