• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Restoring Plesk Onyx after database failure

bmt24

New Pleskian
Hello everyone.

This might be a bit of lengthy issue and I am new to this forum and fairly inexperienced with Plesk, so please bear with me and have patience. If you need any more specifications, please let me know.

My problem looks like this:
I run Plesk Onyx v17.0.17 on Centos 7. However, I do not normally use it much. In fact, I set up my vhost, installed an SSL certificate and that was pretty much it. Now my SSL certificate provider reminded me that I need to update my certificate. I acquired the new certificate and wanted to run Plesk to install it. But I could not log in through the Plesk panel. So I looged in via SSH and tried to find the problem. However, presumably due to an error of mine, the "plesk repair" command appears to have crashed the mysql server. I backed up the databases and managed to get mysql running again. The virtual server is now running smoothly, but Plesk is still down. The database is currently not to be found on the mysql server (I've had to restore the vhost`s databases from the backup as well).

I am currently uncertain as to how to proceed. My most urgent issue is getting the new SSL certificate working. If that can be done without the Plesk panel, I would appreciate tips on how to do that, Google wasn't very helpful. If the Plesk panel needs to be restored first, then so be it, I'll want to get it back up anyway. So, what to do?

Can I simply restore the database, same as I restored the vhosts's db, from the files I backed up? Then again, it was clearly not working before, so is there any way to figure out what was wrong with it and fix that? I'd rather not run "plesk repair" again, unless I really know what I'm doing this time around. Maybe I should create a pristine Plesk database and use that instead? If so, how do I do that?
What's important here is that I mustn't wreck the vhost while I'm doing all this. Setting that up again could take a bit.

I guess I could set up a new virtual server with a fresh Plesk install, set up my website, then have the domain point to the new IP, but that sounds like a lot of effort for what is hopefully a fairly minor issue.

So much for now, I hope I have at least described the issue sufficiently for you to ask for specifics. I bet I made a lot of silly beginner mistakes, both in how I killed my Plesk Panel and in writing this post, but I hope the community can (and wants to) help me out nonetheless.

Hoping for some guidance,
André

Dumps of Plesk database 'psa' you can find in /var/lob/psa/dumps/ You can try to restore recent dump at least. Also you can try to fix Plesk with

# plesk installer --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --upgrade-installed-components
# plesk repair installation

Contact Plesk Support Team if it not help, they will fix your Plesk directly on your server.

Dumps of Plesk database 'psa' you can find in /var/lob/psa/dumps/ You can try to restore recent dump at least. Also you can try to fix Plesk with
Interesting. The most recent regular dump is from May. Maybe the Plesk panel hasn't been running properly since May and I never noticed. Is there a way to set up an e-mail warning if something is wrong?
Anyway, trying to restore that dump produces "ERROR 1030 (HY000) at line 203: Got error -1 from storage engine". That line contains the only entry in the table 'ApiRpcCallsStat'. All previous tables have been successfully created, but they were empty in the dump anyway. Now, I have been working with MySQL for some time, but I've never seen that error before. Does anybody know what causes it?
Contact Plesk Support Team if it not help, they will fix your Plesk directly on your server.
Unfortunately, I got Plesk through my provider, and their helpline was everything but helpful. I might have to try again, maybe I'll get someone more competent this time around.

More googling helped more. That was a known error, so I have the psa database restored now. Where can I set the password that Plesk uses to access MySQL? Right now, it appears to be using the wrong password.

Where can I set the password that Plesk uses to access MySQL?
It is the password of Plesk admin. There are many related KB articles about resetting this password. Please try to use KB search.

I did, and the reset script worked. Problem solved, thank you very much for your patience and advice.

Back