• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Sending via SMTP causes timeout

Michael_G

New Pleskian
Hi,

I am using Plesk Panel 11.0.9 (latest updates applied) on CentOS 6.4. at Strato. Unfortunately I can not send email from outside of the server (thunderbird).
As I am not familiar wwith mail server configuration at all I would expect that plesk panel does that for me (right?)

* I can send emails via web mail.
* I can receive emails in thunderbird, but sending runs into a timeout.
* The plesk firewall configuration does have a rule for smtp (but I don't see for which port), so I would expect it is not a firewall issue
* I would like to send with some security (starttls and encrypted password), but sending does currently also not work with any combination of (non-)security setting.

My domain has been migrated from another provider, I added it myself via Plesk panel later. The only mail-related change I did without plesk panel was to copy the mailboxes from my old server to /var/qmail/mailnames. But this should not effect sending email...

Any ideas? Which config/log files should I post?

Michael

Last edited:
First of all check connection to port 25 on Plesk server from your workstation with Thunderbird. For example:

telnet Plesk_server_IP_address 25

Make sure that you are using the right IP address and port number combination for the SMTP server in your mail client preferences. If you are using the domain name instead of the mail server IP, make sure that the domain is resolved to the right IP.

Make sure that you are using the right IP address and port number combination for the SMTP server in your mail client preferences. If you are using the domain name instead of the mail server IP, make sure that the domain is resolved to the right IP.

Yes, no problem with that.

Does the postfix configuration (/etc/postfix/main.cf) make sense?

virtual_mailbox_domains = $virtual_mailbox_maps, hash:/var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual_domains
virtual_alias_maps = $virtual_maps, hash:/var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual
virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/var/spool/postfix/plesk/vmailbox
transport_maps = hash:/var/spool/postfix/plesk/transport
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/postfix_default.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file = $smtpd_tls_cert_file
smtpd_tls_security_level = may
smtpd_use_tls = yes
smtp_tls_security_level = may
smtp_use_tls = no
smtpd_timeout = 3600s
smtpd_proxy_timeout = 3600s
disable_vrfy_command = yes
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::1]/128 85.214.xxx.xxx/32
smtpd_sender_restrictions = check_sender_access hash:/var/spool/postfix/plesk/blacklists, permit_sasl_authenticated, check_client_access pcre:/var/spool/postfix/plesk/non_auth.re
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
smtp_send_xforward_command = yes
smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts = 127.0.0.0/8 [::1]/128
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, check_client_access pcre:/var/spool/postfix/plesk/no_relay.re, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination
virtual_mailbox_base = /var/qmail/mailnames
virtual_uid_maps = static:110
virtual_gid_maps = static:31
smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:12768
non_smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:12768
sender_dependent_default_transport_maps = hash:/var/spool/postfix/plesk/sdd_transport_maps
virtual_transport = plesk_virtual
plesk_virtual_destination_recipient_limit = 1
mailman_destination_recipient_limit = 1
myhostname = XXX
message_size_limit = 10240000

Last edited:
Did you activate submission (to use 587 port) in the messaging server parameters?

Have you used the mchk tool to repair mailboxes?

Back