• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Server backup with important issues incorrectly marked as "minor issues", no notification sent

Visnet

Basic Pleskian
User name: Visnet

TITLE

Server backup with important issues incorrectly marked as "minor issues", no notification sent

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk Obsidian 18.0.27.1
CentOS 7.8.2003 x86_64
MariaDB 10.3.23

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

Dear Plesk team,

I am performing a migration from Plesk Onyx 17.8 to Plesk Obsidian (18.0.27), both CentOS 7 servers.

After checking my scheduled daily full server backups, I found that:
  1. Daily notifications shows, saying that some "minor" issues occurred.
  2. This notification is not sent to the configured e-mail address. So the admin is not aware of this issue.
  3. Although the backup dumps fail for all subscription databases, Plesk incorrectly considers this a "minor issue". Even though without database dumps subscriptions cannot be fully restored.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. Migrate subscriptions with MySQL databases from Plesk Onyx with the Plesk Migrator

2. Upgrade stock MySQL 5.5 to MariaDB 10.3.23, as per instructions on MariaDB 10.2 support in Plesk

3. Configure a daily server backup through the Plesk Backup Manager

4. Put a /root/.my.cnf file in place with MySQL client credentials. Note: the credentials in this file do NOT seem to be used by the Backup Manager cron job, but (re)moving this file actually makes the Backup Manager succeed without issues.

5. The next day, after the Backup Manager cron job has been performed automatically, go to the Backup Manager page in Plesk and the notice message is visible, for example:
The backup June 23, 2020 04:02 AM was created and can be restored, although some minor issues occurred. Download the log file View the log Close this message

6. View the log of this backup, and notice that the backup dumps have failed for all subscription databases, for example:
Code:
Warning: Database "database_name"
Unable to make database dump. Error: Failed to exec mysqldump: Exit code: 2: mysqldump: Got error: 1045: "Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)" when trying to connect

ACTUAL RESULT

The results of steps above:

1. A daily notification shows on the Backup Manager page, saying for example "The backup June 23, 2020 04:02 AM was created and can be restored, although some minor issues occurred."

2. This notification was NOT sent to my e-mail address, even though the address was added to the backup task.
If anything at all is wrong with the daily full server backups, I need to be notified correctly.
Because if I wouldn't check the Backup Manager, I wouldn't have even known there was an issue, and I'd be left with many unusable backups (see 3 below)!

3. The notification calls it "minor issues", but ALL subscription database dumps failed to be included in the backup! This means the subscriptions cannot be properly restored, which is NOT a minor issue.

The backup log contains the following error for all subscription databases:
Unable to make database dump. Error: Failed to exec mysqldump: Exit code: 2: mysqldump: Got error: 1045: "Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)" when trying to connect
Note: plesk db is working, and the access denied issue is not relevant to the actual issue described in this thread: lack of e-mail notification and marking the issues as minor.

EXPECTED RESULT

The Backup Manager should e-mail ALL issues to the e-mail address configured in the scheduled backup task.

Failing to dump any subscriptions databases should be marked as an important issue, because it causes the backup to be unusable: the subscription cannot be fully restored without database dump(s).

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

I have checked the mail log from both servers, sender and receiver: the backup task does not seem to have sent any notifications.

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

Last edited:
Back