1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Several issues with Plesk

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by kingwebmaster, Apr 29, 2006.

1. kingwebmaster

kingwebmaster Guest

We recently moved our server to Rackspace where they use Plesk. Our previous server used DirectAdmin and before that, CPanel.

I must say that I am very dissapointed with the Plesk system. It is very poorly thought out.

Here are my complaints:

1. Backups cause downtime (very significant downtime). In DirectAdmin and CPanel, I could run a backup without worrying about downtime. Now, I cannot do backups, because I cannot afford the downtime.

2. Website backups cannot be done serverwide or clientwide. Instead they have to be done on a per website basis.

3. PhpMyAdmin cannot be accessed without going thru Plesk.

4. PhpMyAdmin only displays one database at a time. It wont even show other databases from the SAME website. Furthermore it is SSL, so it is very slow. I had to install a stand alone phpMyAdmin so that I could work without pulling my hair out.

5. Webmail doesn't work with PHP v5 installed.

I hope someone can prove me wrong or show me some solutions to these problems.

2. kingwebmaster

kingwebmaster Guest

Another problem that I just discovered.

If I have 2 websites on the server. Both of them have an email account "john"

Example:

john@website1.com
    john@website2.com

Plesk won't let them have the same password. The same goes for any type of account on the server. If the username is the same, then the password needs to be different.

This is rediculous!

Why does SW Soft feel the need to control the way people work??? The only solution that I can think of is to go into phpmyadmin and edit the password.

3. jspilon

jspilon Guest

http://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk7.5/Doc/plesk-7.5r-admins-guide-html/ch02s05.html

most likely because you are setup to accept short names instead of full email addresses

"Use of short (webmaster) and full (webmaster@domain.com) POP3/IMAP mail account names is allowed"

4. jspilon

jspilon Guest

Read the manuals available, there is serverwide backups

http://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk7.5/Doc/plesk-7.5r-backup-restore-html/index.html