• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Slave DNS with other controlpanel software

kenneth-vkd

Basic Pleskian
Hi
I have been building a new infrastructure for our hosting using cPanel, as this integrates very well with our management software and selfservice platform.
However, as cPanel does not support Windows and we have around 100 websites running in ASP, we needed something to handle that case. As we have previously been very satisfied with Plesk, the choice was easy.
However, as these sites also have DNS hosted with us, we needed to manage this from Plesk as well.
For this to work we installed the "Slave DNS manager" extension and configured it to point against one of our cPanel-based DNS-servers. However, we keep getting these errors in the logfiles of BIND on the DNS-servers
Code:
xfer-in: error: transfer of 'domain.tld/IN/internal' from X.X.X.X#53: failed while receiving responses: REFUSED
The Plesk on Windows Server 2016 is installed with Bind nameserver as well, so that this is the same.
I have tried to manually add the DNS zones to the linux cPanel servers, but this gave the same result.
I have also tried to manualy define the zones so that they are listed as slave zones, but that did give the exact same error except that it stated as "IN/external" instead of "IN/internal"

I have modifed the /etc/named.conf as described in this article: Slave DNS and Plesk - Plesk

Does anyone have an idea why this is not working?

That guided me correctly. Seems for some reason it did not set the allow-transfer object correctly. So I had to delete all zone objects in the named.conf on Plesk Windows Server and run "plesk repair dns" to get them corrected and now I do no longer get errors.

However, when you make a correction in the zone on the Plesk web interface, it inserts all zones outside the default internal view, which causes BIND to crash and only by removing the duplicated records, we can get it to run again.

Can I simply delete everything in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plesk\dns" and then run "plesk repair dns" to get it to run correctly?

Back