• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

[Solved] SASL authentication failure: no secret in database

DanielL84

New Pleskian
I have tried all of the solutions I could fine online and nothing has worked so far. I keep getting this error "SASL authentication failure: no secret in database", "SASL DIGEST-MD5 authentication failed: authentication failure". I keep getting these issues and I can't send any email.

Does anyone have a better idea of where I may be going wrong. Any files I should be posting?

Thanks @IgorG . I tried the link to the article you suggested http://kb.odin.com/en/113866. For Plesk 12 is the /usr/lib64/sasl2/smtpd.conf supposed to be like the Plesk 10 or Plesk 11 example?

When using the Plesk 11 example, Roundcube had said the mail had been sent, but then I had a 'Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender'.

@IgorG I did what the other poster suggested (installed Qmail, uninstalled Postfix then uninstalled Qmail and reinstalled Post fix). I sent an email to a Gmail address which went through. However when I try to send to a hotmail address I keep getting 'Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender'. Looks as though they are blacklisting me, even though we haven't been sending any spam and the server is new...

To save people having to click onto different threads, what worked for me was:
  • install QMail (which in turn unistalls Postfix)
  • install Postfix (which then uninstalls QMail)
This was all I had to do and email started to send correctly.

The issue with hotmail/outlook.com is their end, not Plesk's.

Hi DanielL84,

The issue with hotmail/outlook.com is their end, not Plesk's.

sorry... but this might not be correct... if you have missing SPF and/or DKIM and/or OpenDKIM entries, hotmail and other free-mail providers could deny delivery.

Hi DanielL84,

sorry... but this might not be correct... if you have missing SPF and/or DKIM and/or OpenDKIM entries, hotmail and other free-mail providers could deny delivery.

Hi UFHH01 - I have a txt record for SPF. I have now added a domainKeys txt record beginning with host default._domainkey.example.com. The registrar is managing the DNS not the server. There is also over domainKeys DNS on the server which I can't add to the registrars DNS settings host: _domainkey.example.com with value 'o=-'.

Hi DanielL84,

if you are unable to put DNS records into the providers nameservers, please contact them, to solve such issues. Some providers don't allow specifications like
Code:
    _adsp._domainkey.example.com.    TXT    dkim=unknown
    _dmarc.example.com.    TXT    v=DMARC1; p=none
    _domainkey.example.com.    TXT    o=-; [email protected]
... but they will never refuse to put this into your records by hand, if you explain the need because of denied mail deliveries.

Back