• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Speeding up migration

tkalfaoglu

Silver Pleskian
Hi there. I am going to migrate to another server since the old one is now 9 years old!
Same data center, so, a LAN transfer basically.. between two Centos plesk obsidians.
I intend to use the migration tool of course, but is there anything I can do to speed this up?
For example, can I do a preliminary rsync of all the /var/www/vhosts files ahead of time?
Does the migration tool use Rsync and would that rsync skip over the files that already exist? Would that help?

Otherwise, the 300+ customers on that server will sure be waiting for a long time for the migration to finish so I can change our DNS IPs to the new server..

Many thanks, -turgut

Hi there. I am going to migrate to another server since the old one is now 9 years old!
Same data center, so, a LAN transfer basically.. between two Centos plesk obsidians.
I intend to use the migration tool of course, but is there anything I can do to speed this up?
For example, can I do a preliminary rsync of all the /var/www/vhosts files ahead of time?
Does the migration tool use Rsync and would that rsync skip over the files that already exist? Would that help?

Otherwise, the 300+ customers on that server will sure be waiting for a long time for the migration to finish so I can change our DNS IPs to the new server..

Many thanks, -turgut
You could just start the migration job a d let it run through the day, and then re-sync everything once more after it finishes - resyncing only affects changed and added files, so it will be much faster.

Many thanks -- I'll do that.. I noticed how very very slow the migration was just now.. So I better start early..
I'll just rsync /var/qmail/mailnames afterwards again. -- I don't dare rsync the /var/www/vhosts as IP's are different and something might blow up..
-turgut

Back