• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Suggestion for better explanation of password reset dialog

Bitpalast

Plesk addicted!
Plesk Guru
Basically all customers who try to reset their Plesk login password fail, because they do not understand the requirements for the new password. Part of the customers does not know their own user name - o.k., that's normally the case -, but the remaining some try to enter a new password but fail, because they choose insecure passwords, too short passwords, passwords without special characters and so on ...

I suggest to add an explanation to the dialog where a customer can choose a new password how the password must be built, e.g.

- must contain at last a letter and a digit
- must be n characters long
- must contain at least one special character

This of course must depend on the security requirements that the administrator has set in the back office.

These requirements are already described in Password strength notes in Security Policy.

Sorry for my insufficient explanation. I mean the password reset dialog that a user sees when he cannot login into Plesk any more. The user can request a new password by entering his e-mail address and his user name. Plesk sends a password reset confirmation mail to the user. When the user clicks on the link in that mail he is forwarded to a page where he can enter a new password. On that page however, no requirements are mentioned. Our users then normally try passwords of their choice, not watching proper length or characters.

It would be very helpful if on the actual password reset page where customers must enter a new password the software could display the minimum requirements. It does on the administration page, but it does not on the actual page where a new password must be entered. So people always call support for that, because they don't know how their new password should look like. They enter something and the system only denies setting the new password. People don't know why, neither have a hint before they enter a new password.

Back