• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Totally fed up

A

AzGilrock

I'm about to blow a gasket after dealing with Godaddy about my Plesk. Initially I started with Plesk 7.5.3. Then after I called Godaddy about my Backup button being greyed out in the control panel I was instructed to hit the Updater button, select Backup Utilities, and wait for the magic. Well it failed and that was the start of my trouble. The error said the updater would not run under the Vistuozzo version. But after the error message I later noticed that my Plesk was now showing up as 7.5.4. Godaddy told me that the updater hadn't worked right and they were working on installing a patch.

In the meantime I dediced I wanted some of the extra Plesk features like SpamAssassin and the ApplicationVault so I paid for an upgrade. After several days I still couldn't access any of the new stuff. I finally alerted them that they hadn't updated my license so they fixed that. Then I still had greyed out buttons and could not update anything. After several calls to Godaddy I was told to just sit back and wait for them to fix things.

So yesterday all of a sudden I see some new buttons show up. I believe there was a red "Extras" button under Clients and a MyPlesk button under Server or somewhere...but the butttons for the new functionality I paid for still were greyed out and the Updater still displayed the same error.

Then today those extra buttons disappeared but my new functionality buttons were now active. So everything appeared great and I was happy.

Then an hour later I go to refresh my horde email and get a major error. I try to access the Plesk control panel and it's down. I call Godaddy and they start a trouble ticket. I'm at work so I couldn't SSH in to check anything until 4 hours later. I get home and everything is still down except Apache is running because the website is still active. I can get in through SSH but Plesk will not start and I see that someone logged in and shut it down while I was at work. I'm the only one with access so I figured it must have been Godaddy trying to fix something.

So I call them and after the phone screener consults a tech I'm being told that I've upgraded Plesk to a version that they don't support and that all they can offer is to reprovision the server back to the original state. I said "you mean the original broken state I've been trying to get fixed all along?"

I'm totally pissed. I did nothing but follow their instructions and it was their advice to run the updater button that upgraded Plesk. Now because of that I'm being told I'm on my own with no support. The only thing I updated myself was MySQL and that was a week ago and Plesk has been running fine since then until today.

I did install 4PSA Total Backup so I do believe I have a full backup from last night but I'm afraid that's just gonna put Plesk back into the state where none of those applications I paid for are active.

I was thinking of just running "yum update" and see where that lands me and then if I can't get it going from there then try to restore the backup from last night. I still don't like the fact that Godaddy is absolving themselves from support when I feel like they broke my server. It broke while I was at work with no SSH access.

<end of rant>

Gil Jones

Well this is the error I get when trying to start psa:

[root@somasport /]# /etc/init.d/psa start
Reloading configuration: [ OK ]
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/httpsd: error while loading shared libraries: libidn.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/httpsdctl start: httpd could not be started
Starting Plesk: [FAILED]

In another post I found it said that the last error message means apache is not starting but my website is still serving up pages. But mail is down and Plesk is down.

I also was browsing in my /var/qmail/bin directory using SSH via PuTTY and several files are showing up with red highlighting and I know that wasn't there a couple days ago.

Any tips...I'm lost right now.

Gil Jones

godaddy sucks!! I actually rescued many clients straight from godaddy due to lack of customer support ;)

Well I'm all ears and checking out your website right now. I only paid for the first month with Godaddy just in case I ran into these type of problems. I have no problem with switching this somewhere else because our business is not going live until Nov 1st.

I also recently purchased the 4PSA Total Backup. Do you know if I can get the license changed over to a new IP if I switched?

Gil Jones

You can switch the 4PSA tool IP. It is not bound to the psa license.

AzGilrock open a ticket in our support section please :)

I just wanted to follow up on this because I actually did pursue setting up a new server at http://www.jbwebhosting.com

Let me say that after my first day's experience I am very impressed with the support and attention I was given in helping set this up. With Godaddy I started out with a disabled Backup button, a lower version of MySQL being told I would get no support if I upgraded it, less than full root access (access is done by another user and then su root but several install scripts would not work right because of this), and ended up with a broken Plesk panel and non-working qmail and was told my only option was to reprovision the server to the initial state for a $50 charge.

With jbwebhosting I am already fully setup and just waiting for name server changes to propogate the internet. Everything appears functional and I even have access to the Vistuozzo panel where I could do my own re-provision of the server if I really needed to...this was not available from the Godaddy account. They even offered to attempt to recover some of my data from my Godaddy server. I also login as root when I SSH to the new server. They also upgraded the MySQL and PHP to the latest versions for me before I even had time to create the domain info. I'm a very pleased customer right now.

Gil Jones

I also just noticed my Plesk control panel pages are loading faster on the new server. I use a satellite to access the internet due to my rural location so pages that download lots of icons are somewhat slow and I'm able to see these speed differences.

Gil Jones

I have had some related issues with my provider, though not nearly as bad.

Since you have Virtuozzo and Plesk--I'm assuming 7.5.4--were you able to get Updater working in your control panel?

Hi,
He had a VDS before which includes the scary updater button. To me it looks like VDS providers just use the regular plesk install files and not the tuned templates from swsoft.

He now has a VPS with us running psa7.5.4 and has access to the VZPP. We do all the updates that you would get through the plesk "updater". This ensures a proper install and we use specially designed templates from swsoft to aid in the psa updates. In addition we update php, mysql, etc.

Hope this helps :)

PS. To me it just makes more sense to run plesk(swsoft technology) with Virtuozzo(swsoft technology).....

Back