• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Update MariaDB version on Plesk

Yes, I found that article before posting but was hoping that there is a way to do this from GUI, because it's fairly complex for someone how doesn't work with Linux on a daily basis.

Also, here MariaDB (MySQL) version selector
was mentioned that there is a DB version selector.

Was DB version selector removed? If not please tell me where it is.

Last edited:
I have followed this instruction and everything seems to be done in order.
The issue is that Plesk is still showing "MariaDB 5.5.64" and Centos is showing the new version 10.4.12.

How can this be?

Attachments

• 2020-02-02 05_04_00-root@hosting__home_centos.png
    2020-02-02 05_04_00-root@hosting__home_centos.png
    3 KB · Views: 125
why did you update to 10.4? In the instructions it says:
Warning: MariaDB 10.4 is not currently supported by Plesk.

in plesk go to Tools & Settings and then to Database Server and then click on localhost and save without changing anything. Plesk should then display the correct version.

why is this thread under "Plesk Obsidian for Windows"?

why did you update to 10.4? In the instructions it says:
Warning: MariaDB 10.4 is not currently supported by Plesk.

in plesk go to Tools & Settings and then to Database Server and then click on localhost and save without changing anything. Plesk should then display the correct version.

why is this thread under "Plesk Obsidian for mykfcexperience Windows"?
I found that article before posting but was hoping that there is a way to do this from GUI, because it's fairly complex for someone how doesn't work with Linux on a daily basis.

The article is not correct and does not install MariaDB at all?

Based on comments section, I am not the only one.

Why is this not part of the Component Update page?

Hello Igor,
This procedure in this article for Centos7 does not work. With this article there are several people wo having problems with it. Me too...
I hope that plesk is reviewing that procedure, so that we can update de MariaDB....

Henk

Hello Igor,
This procedure in this article for Centos7 does not work. With this article there are several people wo having problems with it. Me too...
I hope that plesk is reviewing that procedure, so that we can update de MariaDB....

Henk
Could you please clarify what exactly doesn't work?
Note, that you can write your comments for the article and author of this KB article can see your comments.

The problem is that the removal of the old mariadb fails. I already add some comment on the article in question (https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...-5-to-5-6-5-7-or-MariaDB-5-5-to-10-x-on-Linux) but the moderator there has not yet approved it in 3 weeks time now.
On the 15th of November a Michael wrote a problem he had,,,,
================================================================================
I am unable to upgrade from MariaDB 10.1 to 10.2. I get this error:

This is a brief description of the upgrade process. Important details
can be found in the MariaDB manual, in the Upgrading section.
error: %pre(MariaDB-server-10.2.41-1.el7.centos.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
Error in PREIN scriptlet in rpm package MariaDB-server-10.2.41-1.el7.centos.x86_64
MariaDB-server-10.1.48-1.el7.centos.x86_64 was supposed to be removed but is not!
Verifying : MariaDB-server-10.1.48-1.el7.centos.x86_64 1/2
Verifying : MariaDB-server-10.2.41-1.el7.centos.x86_64 2/2

Failed:
MariaDB-server.x86_64 0:10.1.48-1.el7.centos MariaDB-server.x86_64 0:10.2.41-1.el7.centos

Complete!
=====================================================================================

I have the exact same problem.
I followed the Manual update for Centos7 and at step 5 it gives an error
The old version of MariaDB can not be deleted!!!!!

Henk

@H.W.B thank you! I forwarded your complaint to the author of this article. He will check and fix it soon.

I am also having problems.
First I am getting certificate expired errors on the download which I suppressed afterwards;
[root@vps2 ~]# wget https://plesk.zendesk.com/hc/article_attachments/360022419980/mariadb-10.5-upgrade.sh --no-check-certificate && chmod +x mariadb-10.5-upgrade.sh
--2021-12-16 06:38:24-- https://plesk.zendesk.com/hc/article_attachments/360022419980/mariadb-10.5-upgrade.sh
Resolving plesk.zendesk.com (plesk.zendesk.com)... 104.16.51.111, 104.16.53.111
Connecting to plesk.zendesk.com (plesk.zendesk.com)|104.16.51.111|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: https://support.plesk.com/hc/article_attachments/360022419980/mariadb-10.5-upgrade.sh [following]
--2021-12-16 06:38:24-- https://support.plesk.com/hc/article_attachments/360022419980/mariadb-10.5-upgrade.sh
Resolving support.plesk.com (support.plesk.com)... 104.16.51.111, 104.16.53.111
Connecting to support.plesk.com (support.plesk.com)|104.16.51.111|:443... connected.
WARNING: cannot verify support.plesk.com's certificate, issued by ‘/C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=R3’:
Issued certificate has expired.

and then when running the script;

A MySQL or MariaDB server package (MariaDB-server-10.1.48-1.el7.centos.x86_64) is installed.

Upgrading directly from MySQL 10.1 to MariaDB 10.5 may not
be safe in all cases. A manual dump and restore using mysqldump is
recommended. It is important to review the MariaDB manual's Upgrading
section for version-specific incompatibilities.

A manual upgrade is required.

- Ensure that you have a complete, working backup of your data and my.cnf
files
- Shut down the MySQL server cleanly
- Remove the existing MySQL packages. Usually this command will
list the packages you should remove:
rpm -qa | grep -i '^mysql-'

You may choose to use 'rpm --nodeps -ev <package-name>' to remove
the package which contains the mysqlclient shared library. The
library will be reinstalled by the MariaDB-shared package.
- Install the new MariaDB packages supplied by MariaDB Foundation
- Ensure that the MariaDB server is started
- Run the 'mysql_upgrade' program

and

Failed:
MariaDB-server.x86_64 0:10.1.48-1.el7.centos MariaDB-server.x86_64 0:10.5.13-1.el7.centos
Afterwards in Plesk panel it shows upgrade available MariaDB-server.x86_64 0:10.5.13-1.el7.centos but it never installs.

I managed to resolve this by following the first bits of the manual installation (removing the existing packages)

MYSQL_PWD=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` mysqldump -u admin --verbose --all-databases --routines --triggers > /tmp/all-databases.sql
systemctl stop mariadb
cp -v -a /var/lib/mysql/ /var/lib/mysql_backup
rpm -q --whatprovides mysql-server
rpm -e --nodeps `rpm -q --whatprovides mysql-server`

and then re-running the script ./mariadb-10.5-upgrade.sh
After refresh Plesk now shows the correct version in the panel.

MariaDB 10.5.13

I know. But I don't see any workable instructions to install it. The one to install older versions doesn't take.

Can you provide a proper step-by-step or link?

Host is 1&1 IONOS, and their support people communicate with Plesk and relay responses to the customer. In short, I don't have it. But the long and short is that I'd just like working instructions on doing the upgrade. This one doesn't work when adapted to 10.6:

Back