• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrade to 10.4.4 hangs.

tino

Basic Pleskian
If I try to upgrade Plesk 10.3.1 to 10.4.4 on Windows 2003, the upgrade procedure hangs.

I checked process explorer, and see that wmic is trying to get the IP addresses of the machine.
This is in fact a Virtuozzo Virtual Machine. Could this be the culprit?

I can kill the wmic process in process explorer, but I'm not sure if I can ignore the error this incurs;
FATAL_ERROR: Unable to get IP address

The wmic command does run fine on my machine;

C:\>wmic path win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration get IPaddress
IPAddress

{"1.2.3.4", "1.2.3.5"}
{"10.0.0.14"}

Any ideas?

Tino

Last edited:
I'm having the exact same problem. It's hanging at that command and won't proceed any further. I waited 2 hours the first time before killing it and starting over, then 20 minutes the next couple times, and now I've been waiting another half hour or so. The KB article Parallels posted doesnt make sense - I never see that point!

The KB article does point in the proper direction to where the process fails. Yet, the step mentioned in the KB article (where the installer queries the system for available memory by means of WMI) is not the step where the installer is choking on in my (and your) case.
Hence, we cannot simply kill the wmic process since the step gathers crucial information for the upgrade process.

Would be nice if this could be fixed. This is a blocker for our 10.4 deployment on Windows.

Tino

These are the (interesting) results of the pre-upgrade checker;
(Only the parts that did not end up with an 'OK')

[2012-02-15 12:54:06][INFO] ==> STEP 3: Checking autoinstaller version...
[2012-02-15 12:54:07][WARNING] Your autoinstaller version 3.10.0 is outdated. Please refer to article http://kb.parallels.com/en/112166 on how to obtain latest version of autoinstaller.

[2012-02-15 12:54:07][INFO] ==> STEP 7: Checking for users with same e-mail address as e-mail account ...
[2012-02-15 12:54:07][INFO] There are 2 users with the same contact e-mail address [email protected]
[2012-02-15 12:54:07][INFO] There are 2 users with the same contact e-mail address [email protected]
[2012-02-15 12:54:07][INFO] There are 3 users with the same contact e-mail address [email protected]
[2012-02-15 12:54:07][INFO] Domain administrator of domain has contact mail address as e-mail account
[2012-02-15 12:54:07][INFO] Domain administrator of domain has contact mail address as e-mail account
[2012-02-15 12:54:07][WARNING] There are a number of Panel users that have the same contact email. See the plesk10_preupgrade_checker.log for details. You will not be able to change personal information (including passwords) of these users. Learn more at http://kb.parallels.com/en/112032.
[2012-02-15 12:54:07][INFO] Result: Warning

[2012-02-15 12:54:10][INFO] ==> STEP 12: Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages
[2012-02-15 12:54:10][INFO] Please read carefully article http://kb.parallels.com/en/111891, for avoiding possible problems caused by Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages.

[2012-02-15 12:54:10][INFO] ==> STEP 15: Checking for CDONTS mailroot folder ...
[2012-02-15 12:54:10][WARNING] After upgrade you have to add write pemissions to psacln group on folder C:\inetpub\mailroot\pickup. Please, check http://kb.parallels.com/en/111194 for more details.
[2012-02-15 12:54:10][INFO] Result: Warning

I'll try to fix these 'problems' first, and then try to run the upgrade again.

Thanks for the info. Hope this will work!

Tino

- Step 3: The latest autoinstaller stalls at the same point; so ai --console hangs at the same point.
- Step 7: This is, according to the KB article a bug. I checked the email addresses, and it appears so.
- Step 12: No problems whatsoever.
- Step 15: Post upgrade, so no show stopper...

So this didn't solve anything...

Any other ideas?

I was finally able to get this to progress past the initial state detection by killing the "win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration get IPaddress" process. It gets to this point within a couple seconds of clicking the 'upgrade' link and doesn't stay more than 2 seconds, so it's critical that you have ProcExp running and branched down to the correct process before starting the upgrade, or you'll miss it.

Shell,
I'm experiencing this problem as well, but when I try to kill the WMIC process, I get the "FATAL_ERROR: Unable to get IP address" error message. Did you just ignore this message or were you able to bypass this. I was hoping to get this upgraded tonight, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen.

Shall,
Thanks for getting back to me. Strangely I went back and restarted the installation last night and the upgrade went fairly smoothly (although it did take close to forever to finish and it didn't remove the sitepreview.dll ISAPI filter and thus caused nothing to work initially...but I digress). Well, I'm just grateful that I got the upgrade to work. Thanks again for your help!

I experienced the sitepreview isapi issue as well and had to manually remove it from every site. AAAaaaarrrrggggghhhh! Removing a single ISAPI reference from a few hundred websites is a total and absolute waste of time. Sigh.

Oh, the other problem I've been having is that ALL of the spam filter settings were purged, resulting in *authenticated* email coming from user A on the server, sent to user B on the server, is always treated as spam. I've upgraded to ME Ent 6 but the problem remains. Well, mostly. I've disabled filtering completely - so now legitimate messages are NOT being tagged, but neither are the spam messages.

Oof. Sounds like no fun at all! Fortunately, the only place I had to remove the siteremove.dll ISAPI filter was on the "Web Sites" general setting. If I were in your shoes, I probably would've tried editing the metabase file directly to remove the filters. (Of course, I probably would have monkeyed up my server too!) For the spam settings, I use MailEnable rather than the SpamAssassin tools with Plesk so at least I didn't have to worry with that. Hopefully Plesk 11 will be a better upgrade!

Back