• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrading 9.x to 10.x, fails with multiple errors and RPM reports 2 versions

Tony_C

New Pleskian
Hi

I'm brand new to working with Plesk. I'm confident and experienced at working with a variety of PC/Linux/Unix systems and web servers, but I don't know what to do about this problem.

The system I have just taken over was on an old version of Plesk - 9.0 I think. I was able to upgrade a few versions, but I am stuck. The website is on a self-hosted Linux platform with 1&1.

I am hosted by 1&1, if that helps.

Plesk version: 9.3.0 reported at login screen, and on all the pages I normally work with; 9.5.4 is reported as my current version on the upgrade screen.

OS: 2.6.18-028stab094.3 #1 SMP Thu Sep 22 12:47:37 MSD 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Problem: Unable to successfully upgrade to Plesk 10.x; Plesk reports 2 different versions, and various shell commands report different versions.

Initial problem, hopefully unrelated: I was on a 9.0.x version of Plesk and ran various upgrades (past history has taught me that unless you know everything about your software, don't upgrade past several major releases). One of these upgrades stalled (it claimed there was resource over-use and "the service is not available now") and the only page I could view was the licence page. It told me my licence was invalid. I contacted 1&1 tech support, and they said they "gave me a new key". I need to stress that I know nothing about licensing - I worry that my upgrades may have caused problems, and in the discussions that will hopefully follow about my problem, I would be grateful if someone could help me address this so I can understand my position.

Now, on to the problem I've currently got.

Detail:

Having performed the upgrades mentioned above, I wanted to make the leap to 10.x. I went to the upgrade page and it told me I was on 9.5.4 and it offered me a 10.x upgrade. So, my "problem" is that I am trying to upgrade from what appears to be 9.5.4 to 10.x but it won't let me. However, every other Plesk screen reports that my actual version is 9.3.0

I am now stuck between two versions. The Plesk panel reports 9.3.0, but when I click on "upgrade" it reports 9.5.4. When I then try to upgrade to 10.x, it fails.

Originally, this was the error message - something I've seen a lot of people reporting:

DATABASE ERROR!!!
Previous product version is 9.3.0, but previous database
version is 0954. In most of cases it is result of
previous upgrade try failure. Please, restore previous version
from backup, and try again or contact technical support.

"rpm -q psa" now reports that I have 2 versions:

psa-9.3.0-cos5.build93091230.06
psa-9.5.4-cos5.build95101209.08

I googled extensively and saw various pieces of advice, including rolling back the database (preupgrade.dump). I've tried a number of things, but my installation still fails, and fails badly (the only way I can access Plesk is if I restore the old DB manually, using instructions at http://kb.parallels.com/en/881; it also stops all my web services and doesn't start them again once it's failed).

Originally, I had the simple error regarding different database numbers. But now, having run /path/bootstrapper -repair, the log file is much longer, and has errors like:

ERROR 1 (HY000) at line 1: Can't create/write to file '#sql_64c_0.MYD' (Errcode: 17)
ERROR while trying to find ODBC drivers config
Trying to create pmadb... ERROR 1470 (HY000) at line 31: String 'pma_g09GmwfYAIrso' is too long for user name (should be no longer than 16)
no upgrade for 1012
Trying to set psa database version to 010120... Warning: there are no bootstrapper prep_install actions for component 'horde'

The only way to get Plesk working again is to go and restore the DB again manually - the log file claims it has done so, but either it restores a bad version or it doesn't restore at all.

No matter what I do, RPM reports those two versions.

Following a database restore, the commands I've seen people asked to run report the following:

cat /usr/local/psa/version
9.3.0 CentOS 5 93110722.08

mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` psa -e "select * from misc where param='version'"
+---------+------+
| param | val |
+---------+------+
| version | 0930 |
+---------+------+

I wasn't able to get help from 1&1, who told me to google the problem. They did help when suddenly Plesk reported that my licence wasn't working - they gave me a new licence but wouldn't explain why my licence suddenly didn't work (it's part of the hosting package).

I am willing to try whatever steps you recommend.

Sadly I've noticed that the failed upgrade has also damaged other areas. I cannot use phpMyAdmin now - I get the same Can't create/write to file '#sql_64c_0.MYD' message no matter what table I click on; my Wordpress blog, which uses the database, also seems to be failing a lot.

I would appreciate any help any of you can give.

I resolved the issue with the filename in the reply above; I don't know how, why or when it was created or used, but the failed upgrade did some damage. Deleting the file put right the problems I had accessing phpMyAdmin, but I don't want to try any further upgrade work until I've resolved the issue described in my main post.

Anyone got any ideas?

Looks like you're way off base and now there is vexed consequences of Plesk upgrade. It is very difficult to help you without access to your server only by discussion on forum. Therefore I recommend you contact Support Team. It will be much more quickly and effectively than our discussion.

Hi Tony_C!

Did you find solution to your problem?

It looks strange.

Thanks Igor, I appreciate your response.

I've submitted a support request. I am hoping that it ends up being a simple problem, and that all the consequences are simply that - consequences, rather than damaged files and installations :)

RoverM - I will update you when I find a solution. Hopefully, soon :)

Not had email notification for support request

Is there anything wrong with the support request system?

I put in a support request a few days ago but never received an email confirmation, despite reaching the page where it said my request had been submitted.

I decided to submit the request again, and even though I checked the email address, I still haven't received any email confirmation.

Does anyone have any idea if the system is broken?

Hi Igor

I didn't receive anything and haven't had any contact since.

But this is odd - I have submitted the ticket 3 times now, on 2 different browsers. I have never received any errors - each time, I get to the page where it tells me my ticket has been submitted and I will receive the ticket number. But I never hear back :(

It is strange. Maybe messages from Parallels ticket system in your Junk folder?
Could you please describe me process of submitting tickets by you with step-by-step instruction? Also it would be very useful to know your email when you submit ticket (you can send me in PM). I will try to find your tickets by your email if they really were successfully submitted.

Back