• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input Using Sendgrid server-wide

Denis Gomes Franco

Regular Pleskian
I currently use Sendgrid for transactional emails sent by my clients' Wordpress sites and stores - and it is quite handy when I get an angry call from a shop owner complaining that he didn't receive that NEW ORDER message from their shop, as Sendgrid can confirm that the message was indeed delivered to his address .

But for regular emails I use the default SMTP server that comes with Plesk. This set up works just fine and there are no complaints, but it requires me to install the Sendgrid plugin and set up the API key in each and every site that I create.

So I was wondering what would happen if I set up Sendgrid server-wide so it can send both transactional and regular emails. I think can handle the set up itself but there are a few questions:
- What would happen to regular email messages delivered by Sendgrid? Will they be delivered as if coming from the domain itself, or something like "[email protected] via smtp.sendgrid.net"? (The latter is not acceptable)
- Will Sendgrid (or any other SMTP service for that matter) need some special configuration in order to work as a regular email service? Is that a viable option or I should stick to using the local SMTP server?
- If it's not possible/viable to use Sendgrid to deliver regular mail, then how can I set up Sendgrid server-wide so that it processes mail from PHP scripts only? And if this is indeed possible, will that affect Roundcube too?

My only concern is really having to install and set up the Sendgrid plugin on each and every site. I would like to avoid that as it is one less plugin that I have to worry about.

- What would happen to regular email messages delivered by Sendgrid? Will they be delivered as if coming from the domain itself, or something like "[email protected] via smtp.sendgrid.net"? (The latter is not acceptable)
- Will Sendgrid (or any other SMTP service for that matter) need some special configuration in order to work as a regular email service? Is that a viable option or I should stick to using the local SMTP server?
- If it's not possible/viable to use Sendgrid to deliver regular mail, then how can I set up Sendgrid server-wide so that it processes mail from PHP scripts only? And if this is indeed possible, will that affect Roundcube too?

I am on Google Compute Engine with CentOS 7, Dovecot, Postfix, and Roundcube. I use Sendgrid server wide and it works just fine delivering all email to outside domains. Local email is still delivered locally without going through Sendgrid. Roundcube works just fine, as well as Wordpress forms and even sendmail through custom Perl CGI forms. I followed the instructions from Google found here, but you can follow Sendgrid's instructions just as well. No per-domain customization needed.

Thanks for your feedback GJ Piper. Now I'm more confident on this set up. I'll check how can I configure this under Plesk without it reverting to the default configuration every time there is an update.

Thanks for your feedback GJ Piper. Now I'm more confident on this set up. I'll check how can I configure this under Plesk without it reverting to the default configuration every time there is an update.

The settings changes go in Postfix preferences files, and any changes made to those by Plesk only change specific content in that file. Plesk does not overwrite the Postfix settings with updates. I made these changes back in Plesk Onyx and updating all the way to current 18.0.21.3 version the settings were never overwritten.

Back