1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Watchdog / Rootkithunter can't find MD5

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by splacknuck@, Oct 8, 2008.

1. splacknuck@

splacknuck@ Guest

Watchdog’s security check via the control panel starts Rootkithunter 1.2.8. Although I added the following lines to /usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/lib/rkhunter/db/os.dat:
    Rootkithunter claims that
    Is there a solution for this? I found a post in this forum relating to Plesk 8.3: problem with watchdog no md5.

Unfortunately with Plesk 8.6 I am still experiencing this problem.

2. Roland Leurs

Roland Leurs Guest

A solution to Rootkithunter can't find MD5

Hi,

Maybe a little late, but I have found a solution to this problem.

The problem is RKHUNTER 1.2.8 is searching for the string "SuSE Linux" in /etc/SuSE-release. In openSuse however, it has openSuSE 10.2 (i586) in this file.

The solution is simple: edit /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/watchdog/rkhunter line 2035 and change it to:

version=`cat /etc/SuSE-release | grep -i "openSUSE"`

This works for my server.

I didn't try to find out if the latest release of rkhunter (1.3.4) does better detection. But this is a quick fix to solve this.