• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

watchdog says spamassassin is down bug STILL not fixed!

Silver Pleskian
Why has swsoft still not fixed the spamassassin not being detected by watchdog?

I am running Fedora 7 which comes standard with spamasaassin 3.2.3-1.fc7 and yet watchdog says its not running yet it is.

Swsoft told me this bug would be fixed back in Plesk 8.1 and I am STILL waiting.

Same problem here, very strange that they did not solve it, is there someone who knows a fix for this?

Same problem here, very strange that they did not solve it, is there someone who knows a fix for this?

I think Watchdog is the problem. I get the
The Plesk SpamAssassin service on host xxxxxx is down
too, but it is not true, it is running fine.

The same goes for other services like dns or even the Plesk web server.

I know that Watchdog is not telling the truth because I just saw that plesk was down in watchdog (watchdog is in plesk webserver so this can not be true).

I think it is save so say that watchdog in plesk 8.3.0 is not working correctly because I upgraded a server yesterday from 8.2.1 to 8.3.0 and watchdag started complaining.
Today I updated the nex one from 8.2.1 to 8.3 and it is complaining now to.

I'm waiting with upgrading the rest ....

Even after the newest Watchdog update this week the bug stay's :( Watchdog say's Spamassassin is down, but it is not! What was this update for then? Is RKHunter working now? Do they fix only one bug per module max? :( very disappointing again...

Has anybody found a sollution on this?

We just upgraded to plesk 8.3 yesterday, and are experiencing the same spam assassin bug.

We are not having the rootkit problem that others have reported on.

I suggest setting up the latest psmon to monitor your services. I am now using psmon to handle all the services on the server. Since this bug has existed since Plesk 8.2 good luck it getting fixed in the next update :(

I also have this problem.

Here is what it says in the log file -

[EST Mar 26 09:05:52] 'psa_spamassassin' failed protocol test [generic] at UNIX[/tmp/spamd_full.sock].
[EST Mar 26 09:05:52] 'psa_spamassassin' trying to restart
[EST Mar 26 09:05:52] 'psa_spamassassin' stop: /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/spamd
[EST Mar 26 09:05:53] 'psa_spamassassin' start: /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/spamd
[EST Mar 26 09:10:55] 'psa_spamassassin' service timed out and will not be checked anymore

The file /tmp/spamd_full.sock exists but it is blank, so I'm not sure if this is causing the problem.

The command "/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/spamd --status" gives the response "is running" so Spam Assassin is definitely running fine.

Has someone submitted this bug to Plesk? Do they have a bugtracker site so we can report and keep track of bugs?

Yes I have about 4 times and still waiting for the fix :(

Perhaps everyone needs to complain maybe they ignore bugs even when they find it when you tell them if only 1 or 2 complain.

I got about 3 emails (maybe more) where they say the next bug fix will include it

[EST Mar 26 09:05:52] 'psa_spamassassin' failed protocol test [generic] at UNIX[/tmp/spamd_full.sock].
[EST Mar 26 09:05:52] 'psa_spamassassin' trying to restart
[EST Mar 26 09:05:52] 'psa_spamassassin' stop: /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/spamd
[EST Mar 26 09:05:53] 'psa_spamassassin' start: /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/spamd
[EST Mar 26 09:10:55] 'psa_spamassassin' service timed out and will not be checked anymore

The file /tmp/spamd_full.sock exists but it is blank, so I'm not sure if this is causing the problem.

Thanks for logs. But they not full.

There is workaround for such issue:

if failed unixsocket /tmp/spamd_full.sock send "PING SPAMC/1.2\r\n\r\n" expect
"SPAMD/1.2 0 PONG" with timeout 5 seconds then restart

So, it expects "SPAMD/1.2 0 PONG", but spamd returns "SPAMD/1.4 0 PONG".
As workaround 1.2 can be changed to 1.4.

Don't be unsupported by evidence, post logs from /plesk_dir/var/modules/watchdog/logs/monit.log

/usr/local/psa/var/modules/watchdog/log/monit.log

there were several issues with watchdog and services in 8.x Plesk, they were caused by different reasons.

# SpamAssassin
check process psa_spamassassin
with pidfile "/var/run/spamd/spamd_full.pid"
start = "/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/spamd --start"
stop = "/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/spamd --stop"
if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout
every 1 cycles
mode active

there is nothing about pong, as i understand the monitrc is automatically generated from the monitrc.tpl

Brujo

It looks like someone has removed a line from your file. Here is mine. I've now updated that line and it's worked fine. Thanks Tany! Legend!!!

Does Plesk have a bug tracker somewhere, so we can submit bug reports and see the status of existing bugs?

# SpamAssassin
check process psa_spamassassin
with pidfile "/var/run/spamd/spamd_full.pid"
start = "/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/spamd --start"
stop = "/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/spamd --stop"
if failed unixsocket /tmp/spamd_full.sock send "PING SPAMC/1.2\r\n\r\n" expect "SPAMD/1.4 0 PONG" with timeout 180 seconds then restart
if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout
every 1 cycles
mode active

how to post a bug:

1. post here, sometimes it may help;
2. send description to [email protected];
3. contact support but only if there is active support option on license;
4. contact CRM if you are partner.

unfortunately, there is no public site with any bugtracker scheme for Plesk.

The fix does not work the file keeps getting changed back if you start and stop watchdog, I assume this is so if the server gets rebooted, so its not a stable fix.

If that's the case, then I guess the options are -
1) Wait for Plesk 8.4 and hope it will have the fix as mentioned above
2) Create a cron job which copies your version of the file over the buggy version updated by Plesk. Schedule it to run on a regular (ie. hourly or daily) basis, so it keeps fixing the problem.
3) Somehow make sure Plesk can't overwrite that file (risky for future Plesk upgrades) or tell Plesk (this is probably not possible) to update with the correct line when it does update.

I opted 6 months ago to use psmon to monitor the services not only can it monitor a heck of a lot more its faster samples each minute.

I given up relying on swsoft now parallels to fix it I keep getting promises but bug fixes seem never to happen just keep waiting for new versions
:(

Back