• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Weird permissions on Plesk

ilijamt

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

I didn't notice when but in some update I ran into issues when php is creating files or reading them.

The root directory of the subdomain or httpdocs is <user>: psaserv and the files inside <user>: psacln

Instead of creating with it's user:group it is always created with www-data, and also because of that if the permissions are set to 770 it won't work, but if I change the user to www-data it will.

I have to put 777 permissions for the writing to work on a folder or file

Tried to run PHP as FastCGI and Apache same issue.

What other info would you need to help?

PHP: 5.4.39
Version: Parallels Plesk v12.0.18_build1200140606.15 os_Debian 7.0

Hi ilijamt,

by default, the system-user "psacln" is not part of the group "www-data" ( CentOS = apache ), or the group "nginx", but when you use php5-fpm, PHP - requests are handled by "domain_system_user:psacln" ( you can verify this, by having a look at your pool - definition for php5-fpm for each domain: for example with Ubuntu/Debian = /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/ ) . You can solve this issue by adding the group to www-data and nginx:

usermod -a -G psacln www-data
usermod -a -G psacln nginx

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

$ id www-data
uid=33(www-data) gid=33(www-data) groups=33(www-data),1002(psaserv),1006(psasb)

Yeah adding the psacln group did the trick partly, can someone from Plesk confirm that it should be like that and not a workaround.

But still it creates the file as www-data instead of the <user>: psacln

Back