• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

what do you think about Plesk 12?

JohanSki

Basic Pleskian
Hi guys,

I've been using cPanel in the past and I want to switch to Plesk now (I don't use it yet). The last couple of weeks I've been "hanging around" on the forum asking questions and reading questions from other people. Also I've been (and still am) reading the Plesk 12 documentation. Though there are some great features in Plesk, there are a few things "bothering" me...

It seems to me that the (Plesk 12) documentation is not always correct and/or up to date, or information seems to be missing. I see people asking questions and other people answering and saying things that are not documented. Also I noticed there are a lot of questions (or screams for help) about technical problems... bugs, often related to upgrading/updating actions. People update something and suddenly something else doesn't work anymore.

So what do you think? Is Plesk a good panel? Does it serve you the way it should? Is it stable? It kind a gives me the creeps that there are (based on the forum topics) quite some instability issues... Should I be indeed worrying, or am I seeing things too negative?

Please tell me what you think. What are your experiences with Plesk 12?

Hi guys,

What are your experiences with Plesk 12?

Well, 12 is quite new, so no-one really has a lot experience yet. But judging from that it builds on 11.5, it'll be rock-solid. Been using Plesk since around version 9 and 11.5 was the most solid yet. A good base for the 12 version. A few teething problems are to be expected.

Wasn't actually going to post but came across the following quote just 10 minutes ago. Thought I share it as it fits nicely :)

The following comment is provided in the Bugzilla source code to developers who may be confused by this behaviour:

Zarro Boogs Found
This is just a goofy way of saying that there were no bugs found matching your query. When asked to explain this message, Terry Weissman (an early Bugzilla developer) had the following to say:

I've been asked to explain this ... way back when, when Netscape released version 4.0 of its browser, we had a release party. Naturally, there had been a big push to try and fix every known bug before the release. Naturally, that hadn't actually happened. (This is not unique to Netscape or to 4.0; the same thing has happened with every software project I've ever seen.) Anyway, at the release party, T-shirts were handed out that said something like "Netscape 4.0: Zarro Boogs". Just like the software, the T-shirt had no known bugs. Uh-huh. So, when you query for a list of bugs, and it gets no results, you can think of this as a friendly reminder. Of *course* there are bugs matching your query, they just aren't in the bugsystem yet...
— Terry Weissman

Last edited:
Is Plesk a good panel? YES

Does it serve you the way it should? YES, the software works the way, the Parallels team invented it for.

Is it stable? YES, but please keep in mind, that the software interacts with your operating system, which is not part of Plesk!

Should I be indeed worrying, or am I seeing things too negative? well... sorry, YES, you have a very unusual way of thoughts ( answer is based on your recent posts here in the forum and just reflects MY opinion! )

With Plesk, you are able to manage a large number of hosting based services, even if your basic knowledge about these services might be insufficient to install, modify and edit them all by yourself. The standards for these services are mostly configured with standard configuration files for the preferred operating system and Plesk interacts stable with all the included features ( if you choose the "stable" updates/upgrades !!! ). But what happens, if a user modifies something on his own? If he replaces standards with his own configuration/modification? What happens, if a Plesk update/upgrade didn't finish because of system errors, software incompatibility, user modifications failures and/or a user is just not able to read logs, analyse issues and/or wants to "repair" something on his own? In former times, especially linux programmers shouted to newbies ( or to asking people in general ): "READ THE ****ING MANUAL". This sure didn't help any newbie and any answer-interested person, but it might have reminded some of them, that documentations and manuals are pretty usefull, to solve problems and issues and if not, then they spent some more time inventing the problem/issue by reading logs and configuration files.
Does EVERY documentation and/or manual answers all possible questions? Well no, it doesn't, because if it would answer all possibilties, the documentation and/or manual for a toaster would contain 1000 DIN-A4 sites, because even the question of "is it possible to toast your brother/sister, because he/she took away your favorite toy" might be included. That's the reason why Parallels not only offers new documentations for each version, they inform each user with a changelog about updates/upgrades, they even have a huge "knowledge base", where different possible problems/issues are mentioned and eventual solutions are presented. And does this include ALL problems and issues now? hm... let's think about it... again "well, no...". There are thousands of possibilities, what a user might re-configure in Plesk and therefore there are 1000 possibilities why the choosen way is not "a Plesk standard" and might not be working and/or causing more problems/issues. But that's by far not all... Plesk offers as well, a very pleasant and fast support, which a user may contact in order to solve problems/issues and then there is as well a nice "Community Discussions" - board, where users help users. All together I really think that Parallels offers a wide range of possible documentations / manuals / help, but you are right JohanSki... this might not be enough for you. Maybe you should hire your personal programmer ( or probably two to get a 24h - instant reply per request ), when you have questions or something isn't explained in a way, that you would expect it to be. Please don't get this wrong, JohanSki, but this thread is nonsens ( from my point of view ) and rather should be moved to a sub-board like "small-talk" than being placed in : "Parallels Plesk Panel 12.x for Linux Problems, Suggested Fixes, and How-To"

Thanks for your replies.

UFHH01. A question is never nonsens, only its answer can be ;) Thanks for explaining. Good to see that you are very happy with Plesk. I read some things on the forum that made me worry a bit, so that is why I asked this question. You said there is a "very pleasant and fast support". Can you explain how this works? Is there some sort of support team? And is the advice for free?

There are several options for support... some are free, some are not... but all support options are very well described on the Support Homepage. As I suggested in one of your former threads, you might use as well the SEARCH option of this board to get answers about previous asked questions. :)

There are several options for support... some are free, some are not... but all support options are very well described on the Support Homepage. As I suggested in one of your former threads, you might use as well the SEARCH option of this board to get answers about previous asked questions. :)

You are right. But additionally I would suggest to use KB articles search engine here - http://kb.odin.com/

Back