• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question What is sending "ome plugins and themes have automatically updated to their latest versions..."?

FutureX

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.56 Update #1
I want to make sure this is normal behavior for Smart Updates:

I receive many emails from WordPress that "some plugins and themes have automatically updated to their latest versions..."
and then the list of what was updated.

In WPTK I have it turned on and set to auto-update.

Is that email from WordPress the result of Smart Updates doing its thing? Making a clone, applying the update, testing the clone, etc.?

I also get emails from Plesk "WordPress Updates Digest" with "Updates were not installed..." (The 'ole JSON error) and "Updates are available for..."

Is all of this Smart Updates related? I only ask because WordPress has an 'auto-update' feature and I want to be sure that Smart Updates is doing the updating and not WordPress.

Another piece of information that makes be believe that it's WordPress doing the updating and NOT Smart Updates is that it's been said that Smart Update will NOT update a premium plugin like Elementor Pro due to the licensing?

However I routinely receive emails like this:

These plugins are now up to date:
- WooCommerce Stripe Gateway (from version 7.6.1 to 7.6.2) : WooCommerce Stripe Payment Gateway
- Elementor Pro (from version 3.16.2 to 3.17.0) : Elementor Pro Changelog

Plesk Tech support says it's ALWAYS Smart Update if you have it turned on but I'm have my suspicions.

Still trying to get a definitive answer on this.

Because the Plesk documentation says it won't update premium plugins like Elementor Pro. Unless that has changed? And then I get an email from WordPress saying that Elementor Pro has been updated. So I'm not sure what to believe.

Also why is there no log as to what Smart Update had updated? There is a log that shows what's can be updated but nothing to show what it did update.

Yes I did, they responded with 'If you have Smart Update turned on then that is the expected behavior'. And they said the log only shows what it found to be undateable not what it updated.

None of which really answers my questions with certainty. I want to be absolutely sure that Smart Update is doing ALL of the updates not matter what including premium plugins/themes. And I need to verify that in a log or something. I can't tell my clients this unless I'm 100% sure.

Also it's confusing when I get a set of emails from Plesk telling what has and hasn't been updated and a set of emails from WordPress tell me what has been updated. And my clients don't need to see the WordPress update notices as it just creates confusion.

Here's a perfect example that just happened.

I get an email from WordPress stating:

2023-11-01 11:57AM
These plugins are now up to date:
- Elementor (from version 3.17.1 to 3.17.2) : Elementor Website Builder – More than Just a Page Builder
- Elementor Pro (from version 3.16.2 to 3.17.0) : Elementor Pro Changelog

I look in the WordPress Tool Kit logs and see this:
2023-11-01 11:59:02INFOPlugin updates not foundAdministratorUpdates for plugin Elementor Pro (elementor-pro) not found. Current plugin version: 3.17.1. Plugin is up-to-date

and from yesterday:
2023-10-31 23:54:40INFOPlugin updates not foundSystemUpdates for plugin Elementor Pro (elementor-pro) not found. Current plugin version: 3.16.2. Plugin is up-to-date

So who did the update? WordPress or Smart Update? And why isn't it in the log if Smart Update did it?

It's really something that support can clarify for you. Please just add it to your ticket.

Believe me I've tried with a very similar scenario to the previous post. All they will say is 'that's the expected behavior' with nothing to back it up like logs. That's why I posted this in the forum to see if anyone else had a better answer.

The big question that continues to be unanswered is "Will Smart Updates update a premium plugin like Elementor Pro?"

And "Expected behavior" can mean that Smart Updates is NOT updating the premium plugins like Elementor Pro. I don't understand why this is such a taboo subject?

If you have a support case and you are not satisifed with the answer, could you please simply ask in your ticket for clarification?

The emails you get from WordPress telling you about automatic updates for plugins and themes are because of Smart Updates. Smart Updates works by making a copy of your website, updating it, checking for problems, and only making the changes to your actual website if everything is okay.

This keeps your website safe and working well during updates. But, the emails from Plesk, named "WordPress Updates Digest," are different. They give a summary of updates available for your WordPress, which you haven't applied yet. If you see a JSON error in these emails, it means there's a problem between Plesk and WordPress, stopping the updates from happening automatically. But, this issue doesn't affect how Smart Updates works.

Back