• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved When a new account is cerated, can we choose to use the username for the database name?

Laurence Cope

New Pleskian
When I create a new account or install Wordpress, it creates database names like wp_is83hd or something. As I manage a lot of websites and often go in using a SQL manager to do things on the database, its very annoying to not know what database is for what site.

So can we configure plesk to create databases named after the account username?

Thanks

Go to Tools & Settings => Database Hosting Settings and check the "username" button for the database name prefix. You can also tick the box below to have a prefix for database usernames too.

To find out which database belongs to which subscription: Go to Tools & Settings => Database Servers and click on the number displaying the number of databases on your database server. There you can list or search for databases and you will see which subscription they belong to.

but I dont think that will add in the account name for the account I am in will it? Just allows me to choose the same prefix for all sites. I could not see any variables I could add in there, like {username} or something, so when I click Install Wordpress I want it to give it a name of the domain I am creating it for so I can distinguish it in my SQL manager, like what Cpanel and Virtualmin do (without having to login into the server and go to that place to find it - I like to try to speed up my workflows).

It will prepend the Plesk login name of the user that creates the database. So if the user "web001" is logged in and creates a database "wordpress" then the DB will be called "web001_wordpress".

You can also select the "external id" radio button, in that case it would prepend the value of the row "external_id" from the "clients" table in the Plesk database "psa".
Note: "external_id" is empty by default. If you're using the API to create your Plesk accounts then you could simply fill in a meaningful value for "external_id" for each of your Plesk users upon creation. We use this to match our Plesk clients with our internal customer id of our CRM and it works like a charm.

Ah yes I remember now but that’s not what I’m asking because I’m logged in as admin and I don’t want all databases named after admin. Needs to be the account domain name that I’m managing

Well, in that case you'd have to specify the database name manually. When you install Wordpress you can select "Install (Custom)", that way you can pick the database name and username according to your preferences.

OK great, I have not seen that option! So I will take a look next time and try to remember to install custom. It would be great if Plesk could do it by default like Cpanel and Virtualmin, but in the meantime, I guess install custom should be able to do what we need.

Thanks a lot for pointing that out.

Back