• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Why does Plesk stop responding when I stop Apache web service?

BernieG

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Almalinux 8.9
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian
Hi,

I just bought a new dedicated server with Plesk. I sometimes need to stop/start the Apache web service and I do that through my Plesk account. However, I notice on this new dedicated server I got, when I stop Apache then I can no longer access Plesk. I then have to reboot the server so I can access my Plesk account again.

With my old dedicated server that also has Plesk installed, I was able to stop and start Apache without having Plesk stop loading form.

Does anyone know why this issue is happening with my new dedicated server?

Thank you.

Is the option "Apache graceful restart" enabled in Tools & Settings > Apache Web Server? And is Nginx also installed and running as a service?

Yes, "Apache graceful restart" is checked ON.

No, I'm just using Apache; the Nginx service is not running.

Just wondering, why does Plesk still work when I use port # 8443 at the end if I stop Apache?
Because Apache is used as a proxy when you try to access Plesk on a URL without port 8443. All HTTP(S) requests to Plesk are internally forwarded by Apache to Plesks own webserver (which listens on port 8443). When Apache gets stopped the HTTP(S) requests can no longer be forwarded. Hence Plesk can no longer be accessed on a URL without port 8443. But because Plesks own webserver is still running you can still access Plesk on port 8443.

Last edited:
Because Apache is used as a proxy when you try to access Plesk on a URL without port 8443. All HTTP(S) requests are internally forwarded by Apache to Plesks own webserver (which listens on port 8443). When Apache gets stopped the HTTP(S) can no longer be forwarded. Hence Plesk can longer be used on a URL without port 8443. But because Plesks own webserver is still running you can still access Plesk on port 8443.

Oh ok, that makes sense...thx for explaining this.

Back