• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Why Plesk is so slow!

I

impactgc

Listen i don't want to cry or anything..

BUT WHY IS PLESK SOOO SLOW!!! I am the it take my whole server down - all sites are slow!

This is only happening on my plesk server!

Slow loading up the login and even slower loading up the front page.

Please tell me I am not the only one having this problem.

For some reason when we decreased the RAM on the server - it went much faster. Now it is slow again

HELP.

Thanks,
Adam

Can you give more details ?
For instance:
Hardware, you used.
Sites count, connections count (last is roughly equal to number of lines in "netstat |findstr :80" output).
What processes are eating most CPU/Memory/IO bandwidth/IO operations (can be seen in task manager, if you selects appropriate columns in output).
How many sessions is opened in Plesk at once?

All that parameters are makes sense.

OK here are some details:

1. It is a VMware VPS
2. Dual CPU 3.4 GHZ 512MB RAM 100 GB Space(had it up to 1GB and didn't seem to help at all)
3. There are about 10 sites (this is a new server)
4. One session - I am trying to open
5. CPU usage is averaging 5%-30%
6. svhost.exe and SQL server and Dr.Webcom are top performers.
7. your netstat gave me no answers

So as you can tell I have a minimal vps. Not a lot of sites(due to this issue). i do run Helm with the same specs and have NO issue at all and that has many sites on it.

Also the webmail is having the same issue - slowness.

Thanks for your help.

Adam

Adam, i really have no idea, but some misconfiguration, or network troubles. I was using vmware box with one 1.2Ghz cpu (Athlon XP as i recall) to test few configurations of Plesk for Win, and there was no troubles similar to yours (but, yes, it's really slow).

Just curious - why not Virtuozzo?

And, Adam when i was in trouble with vmware i found their site very useful, try to figure out something there.

Why not Virtuzzo? Cost and I am having issues with Plesk - why would I tie my OS into Virtuzzo when Plesk isn't working.

I will look on VMware - But I will say my other control panels on the other vps work fine.

Thanks,
Adam

Originally posted by impactgc
I will look on VMware - But I will say my other control panels on the other vps work fine.
what 3rd-paty components (sql servers, tomcat, coldfusion, etc) did you instal with plesk? with "other control panels"?

SQL Server, and Smartertools(mail and stats)

Not as much as Plesk - but I will say i disabled Tomcat and that didn't speed it up. I don't offer coldfusion yet :)

thanks,
Adam

And I understand that Plesk has more features and stuff - but this slow!! never. :)

Thanks,
Adam

SQL Server and DrWeb also used with Helm? SiteBuilder? did you install Plesk with Complete installation type?
i really want to find reason of slowing down.

SQL server is on the vps but not Dr.Web. I actually have norton.

Yes I installed the FULL version , including Sitebuilder

Thanks,
adam

I hope you're not using Norton with on-access scanning enabled on a web server. That is a REAL bad idea when it comes to the server's performance.

You may also want to use the System Monitor (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Performance) and add a few specific performance counters in order to find what exactly is causing this (this works great for MSSQL).

LOL no I am not using norton with on-access.

From viewing the vps performance looks good.. CPU usage is low and memory usage is low..

It looks like there should be no reason for the slowness.

Thanks,
adam

How about the avg. disk queue length? High disk I/O can cause serious performance-related problems.

Also, is there a specific part of the Plesk CP that is slow? I mean, managing domains' hosting setup, DNS or the problem is affecting the entire CP?

How are you running the Plesk CP? Are you using Apache or IIS? How about the psa? Are you using Jet, MySQL or MSSQL?

How about the avg. disk queue length? High disk I/O can cause serious performance-related problems.

Looks fine

Also, is there a specific part of the Plesk CP that is slow? I mean, managing domains' hosting setup, DNS or the problem is affecting the entire CP?

All of it is slow! even the horde mail is slow to load. But I will say once your in plesk - it isn't terrible - but it is slow.

How are you running the Plesk CP? Are you using Apache or IIS? How about the psa? Are you using Jet, MySQL or MSSQL?

I am using IIS. I started with MSSQL but moved it to MYSQL which looked like it made it faster.

Thanks,
Adam

Have you tried to change Plesk to run from Apache?

According to http://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk8.1/Windows/Docs/plesk-8.1-win-reconfigurator-guide.pdf:
Changing Web Server Engine

You can switch the web server engine used by Plesk with Plesk Reconfigurator. You can choose between the following web server engines: Apache Web Server and Internet Information Server(IIS).
Note. Changing web server engine can have drastic effects on the performance and stability of your Plesk server. Switch to another web server engine only if you are sure what you are doing.

To switch Plesk to Apache web server engine:
Run the following command in the %plesk_dir%\admin\bin\ folder (where %plesk_dir% is the system variable defining the folder where Plesk is installed):
reconfigurator.exe --switch-plesk-web-server --new-provider=apache

To switch Plesk to IIS web server engine:
Run the following command in the %plesk_dir%\admin\bin\ folder (where %plesk_dir% is the system variable defining the folder where Plesk is installed):
reconfigurator.exe --switch-plesk-web-server --new-provider=iis

well no.. :) I am on windows so I would like to keep IIS.

And just thought - why would that make a difference :)

Thanks,
Adam

It was just a thought... This helped me in some cases so I thought you might want to try it out. Personally I try to stay away from Apache too, but in some situation you want to think of Apache as a necessary evil ;)

I don't want a "necessary evil " - I want it to work.

I should have just used Helm on this server too!!

Thanks,
Adam

impactgc, seems the set of services of Plesk installed with Complete installation type is needless for you.
could you please install Plesk with Typical installation type without SiteBuilder, SpamAssasin and DrWeb and compare it with Helm?
we really hope to find proper solution for you.

Back