• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Wildcard SSL Certificates with DNS API how?!

user8374

New Pleskian
Hello,

since Plesk cannot use Wildcard SSL certs via Webinterface WITHOUT using own nameserver , I need a solution...

I can generate valide wildcard certs with acme.sh and an external nameserver which supports dns api. But the renewal is a pain in the ***... I have to assign the new cert to plesk which is impossible, because I can not delete the old one when it is using by the domain. Furthermore it seems possible to have certs with the same name .

How can i update/assign a renewed cert via command line (to replace the old one) to add it to a crontab script? I searched here, but there seems no real solution.

And no. I dont want to use the letsencrypt plugin from plesk, because it only supports wildcard certs when plesk also controls the dns / nameserver.

Well, you could just directly overwrite the certificate files in /opt/psa/var/certificates/ with your new ones and then "nginx -s reload" or whatever the other servers need to reread them ...

I have a solution for your problem.
Just like you I'm running DNS on a separate server and the several Plesk servers did not have the DNS-extension running.
I have the Plesk Letsencrypt certificate system working in such an environment. I'll explain:

The solution is that you use DNS-delegation. On the authoritative DNS-server you need to create an NS-record named _acme-challenge.yourdomain.com and point that to yourdomain.com.
You can put such an NS-record in your template and every new domain will have one.
But maybe you're not using a Plesk server as your authoritative DNS, I do.
All DNS-records, beside _acme-challenge.yourdomain.com, will remain on your main server.

When Letsencrypt wants to verify the TXT-record, it will not look for that on your authoritative DNS, but on the webserver.
This means that you need to install, just like I did, the DNS-extension again on your webservers.
That DNS-server only needs to have 1 record, a TXT-record _acme-challenge.yourdomain.com.
In the template I have "unconfigured" as value.

Whenever Plesk renews the certificate, it will change the TXT-record on that server.
I have this working in a production environment.

There's more info here:

Back