• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Wordpress toolkit - odd behavior: Change of preferred domain triggers password change and makes admin interface inaccessible

B_P

Regular Pleskian
User name: B_P

TITLE

Wordpress toolkit - odd behavior: Change of preferred domain triggers password change and makes admin interface inaccessible

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk Onyx Version 17.8.11 Update #83
Ubuntu 16.04.6
Wordpress Toolkit 4.6.0-3212

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

I found an issue related to a Wordpress Multisite installation (separation by subdirectories) which is managed through the WP Toolkit. It seems that there is a connection between the general hosting settings of a domain and WP Toolkit:
- The problem occurs when I change the "preferred domain", e.g. from "none" to "www.example.com":
- It seems that the change of the preferred domain also changes the SITE_URL of Wordpress. However, there is an issue when the permanent SEO-safe HTTPS redirect is activated: The modified SITE_URL reflects the choice of the domain, but uses Example Domain instead of Example Domain. As a consequence, when trying to log in, an error is presented related to cookies:
"ERROR: Cookies are blocked or not supported by your browser. You must enable cookies to use WordPress"
To solve this error, I need to use WP Toolkit to update the SITE_URL
- As an additional unwanted side effect, whenever I change the "preferred domain", I get an additional e-mail indicating that the password for the ADMIN account of that wordpress installation has changed (and in fact it has). Even when requesting a password update through WPTK to the "old" password, this does not work. Only workaround: Let WPTK define a new password, login to Wordpress and manually set the account password to the old password.

Side issue:
- If a subscription contains multiple Wordpress installations, the order in which they are presented, changes sometimes.
- The translation of multisite in WPTK does not make sense for German installations ("Mehrere Standorte" - This would be multiple (physical sites) of a company. Appropriate would be "Mehrere Websites").

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. Create a new domain.
2. Enable SSL (e.g. Let's Encrypt)
3. Go to "Hosting Settings", set preferred domain to "none" and activate SEO-safe HTTPS redirect
4. Install a WPTK-Enabled wordpress installation.
5. (Might be optional) Enable multisite (sub-directory option, Create A Network | WordPress.org) and also create another blog through that installation.
6. Ensure that the Wordpress installation is accessible and that you can log in.
7. Go back to "Hosting Settings", set preferred domain to "www." and store settings.
8. Try to log in to the Wordpress site (either through <domain>/wp-admin/ or by trying the login function of WPTK

ACTUAL RESULT

See already above (problem description):
- During step 7 the administrator receives an e-mail that the password has changed --> login with existing password is not possible any more.
- change of "preferred domain" triggers erroneous update of SITE_URL in wordpress, which does not reflect HTTPS redirect settings --> login is impossible until SITE_URL is corrected
- post-hoc change of admin password through WPTK is not reflected in Wordpress

EXPECTED RESULT

When changing the preferred domain, this should not break the Wordpress installation:
- Ensure that the SITE_URL update reflects HTTP(S) settings
- DO NOT CHANGE the admin password without a reason.

Side note:
- Ensure that the order of Wordpress instances for a subscription does not change randomly
- Fix the translation of "Multiple (web)sites" within WPTK to "Mehrere Websites" for German users.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Expectation from Plesk service team is not only to confirm the bug, but also to fix it (timely, i.e. not 6 months as it is usually the case)...

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

Last edited:
From our developer:

I've investigated the issue and I can't confirm that WPT changes site URL or administrator password. I've tried to reproduce it in multiple ways and checked the WPT source code - URL and admin password should not be changed in that case. But I've noticed that in that case WordPress site works weird (I get cookie error, login sometimes does not work) because URL is NOT updated and does not conform to Plesk website configuration. But you could use our new feature introduced recently at WPT 4.6.0, which helps you to synchronize URL. So, for the site which needs URL to get updated according to Plesk website settings, you could go to WordPress Toolkit, click on the right menu of the WordPress site and then select "Update Site URL" option:

update-site-url.PNG

Still, if "Update Site URL" feature does not help, and you still get URL updated incorrectly or admin password reset, I suggest to create support incident and provide us with more details, so we can investigate the issue more closely.

For the translation issue, I've added a bug EXTWPTOOLK-4627. Our localization team will check and update the issue.

Back