• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

A special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds.

>> The site and/or migrator to bring sites into Plesk from other providers just doesn't work for me. The files are all in the wrong folders and in the wrong place, completely messing up the file structure and confusing the hell out of the Wordpress Toolkit.

What control panel is being used at the other provider? Can you give a little more information as far as what is happening with the directory structure after migration?

>> I'd also like to know how to import email accounts from Siteground (CPanel), maintaining email folders and without knowing the password of the email account. This is probably the second (after backups) thing stopping me from migrating fully from cpanel.

The Plesk migration tool should handle that. Additionally, if you knew the passwords - you could use IMAP Sync. Official imapsync migration tool ( release 1.836 )

>> As for the built in backups, it would be nice if I was able to back this up externally or to another Azure storage account. Keeping it on the same server is really not a good idea, and backing it up to the likes of Dropbox etc is completely out of the question due to data protection. Keeping it inside Azure is preferable because I don't get charged for ingress data transfer, whereas transferring data out of Azure (egress) is chargeable.

Blob storage maybe? Blob Storage | Microsoft Azure - You can mount it using a fuse driver called "blobfuse"

I tried Amazon with Plesk once, but it is so expensive with performance vs. money, that there is no reason to use Amazon once you know there is better. With Amazon everything is slow on their console, you have to learn their terminology and get rid of firewall complications.

I am using Plesk with Vultr, I am very surprised that it actually works fine on 1 CPU 1 GB droplet, what I don't like is that the SE version does not have fail2ban, even for evaluation that is not very good even for limited amount of time. I am happy with Hetzner and Vultr that they make it very easy to install Plesk.

Hi Mike99,
[,,,] what I don't like is that the SE version does not have fail2ban
Could you please explain why do you think so? I use Plesk WebAdmin-SE with fail2ban on Lightsail without any issues. If it didn't install on your Plesk instance, you can install it via "Tools & Settings / Updates and Upgrades" any time.

Plesk Onyx for (CentOS 7) having issues discovering the network interface IP's (AWS side) for both (v4-v6) automatically during launch or after reboot (except the main ipv4)
While Plesk for Ubuntu 16 is recognizing all IP's added manually on the network interface (AWS side) (v4-v6) on the fly.

Both systems are yum updated (latest versions)

I hope that help.

Hi Hextrator,

Could you please provide a little bit more information about your issue and provide steps to reproduce?
I correctly understand the main interface with public IP works without problem? Did you create other interfaces? Did you use multiple IP addresses? Did you use public IP address for non-main interface?

Could you please provide a little bit more information about your issue and provide steps to reproduce?
Sure :
1- Create 1 Network Interface on AWS and 2 private IP.
2- Allocate 2 Elastic IP
3- Associate Elastic IP's with the network interface above and assign the private IP created earlier to them.
4- Assign 2 IPv6 on the NI (Total are 4 IP's the maximum limit for t2.micro)
5- Install Plesk Onyx from marketplace or launch a CentOS 7 instance and Install Plesk. (Remember to choose the network interface that we create earlier during instance launch)
6- Change the view to service provider > Tools and Settings > IP Addresses (you'll find only one private IP address registered automatically) (Ubuntu will discover all of them)
7- Reread (Nothing happens) same result.
(Manual chapter)
8- Add the second private IP with it's public one.
9- reboot
10- everything is fine with IPv4.
11- Add both IPv6 and reboot
12 - Reread >

1440ffb.png

Repair will fix that and everything is ok and there is no more issues unless the server reboot and that is not a practical solution.

I correctly understand the main interface with public IP works without problem?
Yes for IPv4.
Did you create other interfaces?
Nope not in this setup. let me worry on the main interface first.
Did you use multiple IP addresses?
Yes
Did you use public IP address for non-main interface?
Yes on the main one.

Last edited:
Code:
Error: ifmng failed: Execution of /sbin/ip addr add 2001:19f0:7001:5dd7:5400:1ff:fe96:173c/128 dev ens3 failed with return code 2. Stderr is RTNETLINK answers: File exists

Vultr

Hextrator, thank toy very much for your feedback!

Here are some answers to your questions:
- I have confirmed we do not autoconfigure IPv6 addresses after deploying from images, so I will register it as a feature request.
- The bug with autoconfiguring only one public IP on the main interface already was registered.
- We need time to confirm the bug with manual configured IPv6 in AWS, currently, I don't have an answer about this issue.
- I can confirm the issue with "ifmng failed", but I need time to receive an answer where is a problem.

Could you please use Reports next time? It is a right way to provide information about bugs/issues.

Thanks @AYamshanov

I'm not waiting for a solution, The topic here is a discussion about Plesk in the cloud so I'm only sharing my experience before reporting anything and see others what they have to say.

I have confirmed we do not autoconfigure IPv6 addresses after deploying from images, so I will register it as a feature request.

Thank you, I believe this will gets enough votes in 2028 as soon as we run out of IPv4 in 2024 (estimates) as IOT involved.
the IPv4 is getting higher at the price every year, so I'm not consider it as feature as long as Plesk fully support it.

Hi, my hosting company has been running Plesk on clouds for almost 5 years now - (12 years prior to that on bare bone servers).
Almost 2 years at IBM's Softlayer and due to changes in bandwidth and other costs, decided to migrate to AWS.

So far so good. Not a single problem.

You have to get used to their syntax and be a bit savvy on the OS you choose in case something comes up - Centos 7 my choice - as AWS tech support is way TOO expensive while IBM's tech support was always great and free most of the time.

After some months, realized what Reserved Instances were for. Now we are running on 3 year terms paying a fraction of the EC2's regular fee. This helped us a lot to better our ROI.

The only minor issue we have had, was when tried to expand a system disk. AWS' Market place sets a unique ID to each software instance they lease, so its impossible to move away from its original config. Pelase keep in mind this also makes backup snapshots useless, so we use Plesk's backup tool but keep copies at a different place.

To solve this, what we finally did was set a new instance with the needed space and did an instance-to-instance migration using Plesk's tools. Once it was done - 5 hours aprox, switched DNS from the old instance to the new one. As this was done through Route53 - AWS' DNS - replication took less than 5 minutes.

Please notice that all my instances use up to date Centos 7 on up to date Plesk, Atomic's ASL (now Endpoing Defender) and MagicSpam.

Regards,

Sure :
1- Create 1 Network Interface on AWS and 2 private IP.
2- Allocate 2 Elastic IP
3- Associate Elastic IP's with the network interface above and assign the private IP created earlier to them.
4- Assign 2 IPv6 on the NI (Total are 4 IP's the maximum limit for t2.micro)
5- Install Plesk Onyx from marketplace or launch a CentOS 7 instance and Install Plesk. (Remember to choose the network interface that we create earlier during instance launch)
6- Change the view to service provider > Tools and Settings > IP Addresses (you'll find only one private IP address registered automatically) (Ubuntu will discover all of them)
7- Reread (Nothing happens) same result.
(Manual chapter)
8- Add the second private IP with it's public one.
9- reboot
10- everything is fine with IPv4.
11- Add both IPv6 and reboot
12 - Reread >

1440ffb.png

Repair will fix that and everything is ok and there is no more issues unless the server reboot and that is not a practical solution.

Yes for IPv4.

Nope not in this setup. let me worry on the main interface first.

Yes

Yes on the main one.
Good

I started a major web project on the Google cloud about a year ago. I have no training in running servers or cloud consoles - so it's been really interesting to learn all of this stuff. I'm not a coder either... so for me - a LOT of trial and error. BUT - things are up and running just fine since I installed my Onyx/Linux Virtual Machine back in March. Having plesk has been a god-send in many ways. I don't serve up other sites or sell space on my instance. It's only for my own projects. So it may be a more expensive route than 3rd party hosting like go-daddy etc. But I'm enjoying it.

I will say that finding tech support for Plesk seems difficult. There seems to be a bit of an information gap. Or at least a lack of information on who I should be looking to for support. Anyway - overall it's a positive experience thus far.

What an inspiration for your first post. you'll have much more issues with this, maybe I over describe this steps but still there are more ways with AWS you'll not even recognize until your second post arrived.

Hi, my hosting company has been running Plesk on clouds for almost 5 years now - (12 years prior to that on bare bone servers).
Almost 2 years at IBM's Softlayer and due to changes in bandwidth and other costs, decided to migrate to AWS.

So far so good. Not a single problem.

You have to get used to their syntax and be a bit savvy on the OS you choose in case something comes up - Centos 7 my choice - as AWS tech support is way TOO expensive while IBM's tech support was always great and free most of the time.

After some months, realized what Reserved Instances were for. Now we are running on 3 year terms paying a fraction of the EC2's regular fee. This helped us a lot to better our ROI.

The only minor issue we have had, was when tried to expand a system disk. AWS' Market place sets a unique ID to each software instance they lease, so its impossible to move away from its original config. Pelase keep in mind this also makes backup snapshots useless, so we use Plesk's backup tool but keep copies at a different place.

To solve this, what we finally did was set a new instance with the needed space and did an instance-to-instance migration using Plesk's tools. Once it was done - 5 hours aprox, switched DNS from the old instance to the new one. As this was done through Route53 - AWS' DNS - replication took less than 5 minutes.

Please notice that all my instances use up to date Centos 7 on up to date Plesk, Atomic's ASL (now Endpoing Defender) and MagicSpam.

Regards,

I'm just wondering how did you survive with Plesk 5yrs roadmap.o_O

Reserved Instances are a better choice for ROI if you have a good base of customers. and as you said,
You have to get used to their syntax and be a bit savvy on the OS you choose in case something comes up
I agree if you're dealing with Plesk algorithm.

The only minor issue we have had, was when tried to expand a system disk. AWS' Market place sets a unique ID to each software instance they lease, so its impossible to move away from its original config.

Absolutely, it's a major issue I faced my self.

The only minor issue we have had, was when tried to expand a system disk.
I'm not sure if your familiar with expanding the root volume up to 16TB or attaching a new one with the same size and mapping it to the system, take a look at AWS EFS.

I guess this is a great experience from a Plesk customer whose spends this much time with Plesk with great results in the cloud. Thanks.

@jorge ceballos

The only minor issue we have had, was when tried to expand a system disk. .....

Just use a file share and mount that on the various VMs you use - any additional disk space does not require expanding of disks, just add another file share if needed.

By the way, the second part of your statement, being

... AWS' Market place sets a unique ID to each software instance they lease, so its impossible to move away from its original config. Pelase keep in mind this also makes backup snapshots useless, so we use Plesk's backup tool but keep copies at a different place.

is a bit "out of context" - Plesk backup tools might be useless to some degree in any cloud environment, but it is essentially the "wrong way around": one should consider at least to make a frequent snapshot of the entire VM (read: the VM disks), which should be possible in Amazon.

Please note that making snapshots of the entire VM is also a lot easier if you have a fileshare, containing the bulk of the commonly accessed (static) data AND some storage space for (static and infrequently accessed) data, such as logrotated logs and/or (static) backups (read: in addition to the VM snapshot).

I am pretty sure that you know all of the above already - is that a correct assumption?

Regards......

I started a major web project on the Google cloud about a year ago. I have no training in running servers or cloud consoles - so it's been really interesting to learn all of this stuff. I'm not a coder either... so for me - a LOT of trial and error. BUT - things are up and running just fine since I installed my Onyx/Linux Virtual Machine back in March. Having plesk has been a god-send in many ways. I don't serve up other sites or sell space on my instance. It's only for my own projects. So it may be a more expensive route than 3rd party hosting like go-daddy etc. But I'm enjoying it.

I will say that finding tech support for Plesk seems difficult. There seems to be a bit of an information gap. Or at least a lack of information on who I should be looking to for support. Anyway - overall it's a positive experience thus far.

@BigCat Productions

You can always put a post on the Plesk forum............and you can even send me a private message, if you want that.

Kind regards......

Any one tried Alibabacloud/Plesk?

I dont understand their pricing, is the fee just for alibabacloud and then the Plex license on top of that?

What will i gain with Alibabacloud/Plesk v filezilla uc browser rufus s running my own DO VPS?
absolutely everything that you think about this. Write here all your opinions, how it is conveniently done for you, whether you really need it, what is missing and so on.

Last edited:
Plesk on Amazon is a poor decision, in each sense. We are utilizing Plesk in the Azure Cloud, for quite a while now and in all flavors: Windows, Linux, Docker compartments, mixture frameworks, bunch and HA arrangements.

How so? I'd love to hear your complaints as I have clients running Plesk at AWS.

@MarkM,

In essence, it is primarily a personal preference - at least, that is a reasonable assumption from my side.

I have been running test and production servers on all types of clouds, including the three big ones : GCP (Google), AWS (Amazon) and Azure (Microsoft).

The general conclusion is this - the three big ones all perform reasonably well, but any cloud based setup can never compare or outperform a simple dedicated server setup with 3 servers (2 for HA and 1 for storage/backup) with unlimited traffic via a dedicated 1Gbit backbone.

This general conclusion is primarily the result of (a) cost considerations and the cost of traffic in specific and (b) the limitations of resource assignments to cloud based VMs and (c) in the case of GCP and AWS, the lack of "easy assignment, setup and configuration" (if and only when compared to Azure).

However, this "general conclusion" is rather "fluent" - at every moment of time, the cloud based server infrastructure will be preferred over dedicated servers, due to the rapid development of cloud platforms.

Moreover, most people using cloud platforms tend to disagree with the "general conclusion" if and only if they (1) do not use significant resources (and are hence not confronted with huge invoices for cloud based infrastructure) OR (2) are not aware of the structure and limitations of certain cloud platforms (and limitations in specific can be a bottleneck, even though one does not experience it like that - for instance, specific services in Azure have a throughput of 60MB/s, which is rather sufficient for most use cases, but very minimal when compared to a dedicated server with a dedicated 1Gb/s = 125MB/s backbone).

In my personal opinion, the following applies : if one cannot do it on a dedicated server, only then cloud based environments should be considered.

Just sharing some food for thought for all users of Plesk forum.

Kind regards.......

Back