• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Are we betatesters of final Plesk 9?

K

kaizer

After upgrading from Plesk 8.6 to 9.0, and reading all the posts in this forum, it seems that there are lots of bugs in Plesk 9.0. Have Parallels really tested all the functions before they released it.

I took a chance and upgraded to 9.0, and had some minor problems. And it would be nice to know when Parallels are releasing 9.0.1 with all the bugs fixed.

My advice to all of Plesk users, do not upgrade before Parallels have released a new version of Plesk 9.

Any comments?

as you wrote i also had the chance to upgrade to Plesk 9 with a server which holds only my own Domains, so i can handle it myself, but i also would never upgrade my productiv Server with around 120 Domains until some hotfixes are out, just too buggy in the moment.

Brujo

Beta testers

I know what you mean.

Also seem like some of the items in the manual are written for windows. Seems like Unix/Linux support seems a bit half hearted.

After my experience, I would recommend anyone considering upgrading to wait.

Going back to 8.6 !

Due to SMTP Problems (remote sites no longer can reach my SMTP server)
I'm forced to go back to version 8.6.
Plesk 9 seems toooo much buggy!
A shame for any company realeasing such buggy and untested apps!

There will have been an extensive beta test period for Plesk 9, during which a huge number of issues will have been corrected.

Unfortunately the number of people taking part in the beta test will not have been all that large. This is, after all, a very expensive commercial product and the appeal of beta testing is not the same as it might be for a non-commerical product.

Added to that, the sheer number of combinations of OS, previous installs, modifications and whatnot will mean that there's just no way to pick up every possible issue that could happen.

The end result is that, to an end user, it looks Parallels have not tested sufficiently prior to release. There are some common issues that should not have escaped the net.

I would very much like to see a significant improvement in the testing and QC areas when we get to Plesk 10.

Faris.

I think for now, after reading all these replies, and scotts strong advice, I will leave Plesk 9 for now.

Even though I do like the new features, and the interface (to a point, the vista background looks a little tacky), I value my clients, and the continued functionality of web apps I have produce for them too much to risk it.

For now, I'm sticking with 8.6 on my new production server. I'll have another think come Plesk 9.0.1 or when Scott supports via his yum channel.

Thanks to Brujo for pointing this thread out.

Matt

This is always the same story every time Plesk comes out with a new release. Many users including myself have burned themselves by upgrading too quickly.

Releasing new software for a multitude of OS distributions is not a fail safe process. Plesk is the glue that holds together a bunch of complex software applications. It's almost impossible to reproduce every single error in a test / beta environment.

Your choices are:

1. Wait a while before you upgrade. You don't always have to upgrade strait away to the new release. Other people will jump in and do the upgrade and burn their fingers and you can learn from them in the forum. It's cheap insurance to wait a while. I would say wait at least a month or at least until the first patch is available. Even after the first patch comes out, unless you are very brave and you can take the punch, wait till other people implement it before you do.

2. Don't ever upgrade unless you have a complete 100% backup and a roll-back plan. If you are messing with your live client's assets by upgrading you had better know what you are doing and be ready to face the music when it goes wrong.

3. Make a mirror of your server and try to upgrade the mirror. Install another copy of Plesk and see if the upgrade works ok. Do whatever you have to for testing without doing something that could make your life, or that of your clients, a missery.

Back