• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question autodiscover for mail settings

I got this working with SRV record, .htaccess and a php file.

Only issue is with outgoing server encryption.

Its not changing to TLS, its always comes up with SSL.

Trying with Outlook 2007.

Anyone got any idea?

Last edited:
There are 3 systems
I have written a system that will point to the correct Plesk server and it works for both Thunderbird and Outlook.
Don't get your hopes up too much as Apple doesn't use any of these. There's also an RFC for it, but I know of no mail client that uses it.

@AusWeb is correct in that one can't give the prefix. Although that's a pity, it's not a "show-stopper" as he implies.
I can understand the reasons why Outlook doesn't support it as they don't even want you to use IMAP, but why Thunderbird doesn't is beyond me.

Because it does not only involve the technique, but makes you use a strict system for defining the hostname, I haven't published it as a whole.
Some snippets of it are already in this forum.
I have not seen that much enthusiasm when explaining the system, so I refrained from publishing it as a whole.
It does work like a charm.

I created the autodiscovery because I wanted to move to SSL-only for my mail.
For this I have the same wildcard certificate on all my mailservers.
To go to the correct Plesk-server I'm using a client specific CNAME in that wildcard's zone.

The Autodiscovery website is a small config for Nginx with 2 small PHP-scripts (one for Microsoft and the other for Mozilla).

Only Courier uses the INBOX prefix, Dovecot does not ;)
Plesk has configured Dovecot to work in the same way as Courier.

I got this working with SRV record, .htaccess and a php file.
My system is a server-wide nginx config. No need to define it for each domain.
I got this working with SRV record, Only issue is with outgoing server encryption.
Its not changing to TLS, its always comes up with SSL.

Trying with Outlook 2007.
Anyone got any idea?
I would prefer the "automatic", but that doesn't exist.
I'm propagating "tls" and that should work and in my tests it always worked.
Although my colleague told me last week that he got "none" on "port 587".

For my tests I used Outlook 2013
Maybe it's a specific Outlook version problem. Outlook 2007 is old.

Last edited:
Back