• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue backup fails with "Failed to exec pmm-ras: Exit code: 1: basic_string::_M_create"

TobiasP

Regular Pleskian
Hello,
since a couple of days the daily scheduled backup to remote FTP of the whole server fails with error:
"Unable to validate the remote backup. It may not be restored. Error: Failed to exec pmm-ras: Exit code: 1: basic_string::_M_create"

The only thing that changed on the server was that I renamed a main domain of a subscription - but maybe this has nothing to do with it at all...

I hope you can help me?

Cheers

Last edited:
I also got that issue couple days ago:
Error:
Unable to validate the remote backup. It may not be restored. Error: Failed to exec pmm-ras: Exit code: 1: basic_string::_M_create

Anyone could help?

Such behaviour has been confirmed by Plesk Development Team as a bug with ID PPPM-12112 and it is planned to be fixed in one of the future product updates. To workaround/fix the issue, please apply the custom fix as below:

1. Back up the existing pmm-ras utility:
# cp /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/pmm-ras /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/pmm-ras.bk

2. Download the attached fixed file for your OS

3. Unzip it:
# unzip pmm-ras-18.0.28-bcos7x64.zip

4. Place the fixed file instead of the existing one:
# cp pmm-ras /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/pmm-ras

Attachments

• pmm-ras-18.0.28-ubt1804x64.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • pmm-ras-18.0.28-bcos7x64.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Such behaviour has been confirmed by Plesk Development Team as a bug with ID PPPM-12112 and it is planned to be fixed in one of the future product updates. To workaround/fix the issue, please apply the custom fix as below:

3. Unzip it:

Is there a version for ubuntu 16.04 ?

Unfortunately, we have no pmm-ras compiled for Ubuntu 16.04, so please wait when PPPM-12112 will be fixed in the nearest Plesk updates.

Plesk 18.0.28, CentOS 7 latest

I really must say I am NOT impressed. First the error as posted in this thread. Then you provide a fix; only for 18.0.28 #1 to come along a day later, install itself, and break things again...

1593888577168.png

1593888659098.png
Overall we're very happy with Plesk. Been using it since way back version 8. But allow me to vent a tiny bit.

May I humbly suggest that Plesk starts using some QC (quality control) procedures. In the last few month there's barely been an update that didn't break something on our production servers. And those were mostly not glitches in new features but breakage of things that have worked for many years running without issues.
Appologies, but it recently has become somewhat tedious and frustrating.

Overall still happy :)
Tom

3. Unzip it:

Hey @IgorG do you have a version for Debian 9?

Fixed earlier in version 18.0.28 Update 2:

After updating to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.28, a full server backup is no longer erroneously created instead of an incremental one when the base backup exists and it is valid. (PPPM-12112)

@IgorG , I am using Plesk Obsidian v18.0.32 and i am getting this very same error. My server runs CentOS 7.9(core), does this fix apply in this instance too

Back