• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question backup incremental size

agaitan

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Almalinux 8
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hi why my incremental backup are way too big? i read this

Note: Plesk includes in incremental backups the data related to web, mail, and database hosting, but only web hosting data is backed up incrementally. In other words, only changes in data related to web are taken into account in incremental backups, while database and mail related data is included in full.

so that means, incremental backups have the mail data in full ? so if i got a client with 2tb on mail content it will be saved in full in all incremental backups?

thank you

Hi why my incremental backup are way too big? i read this

Note: Plesk includes in incremental backups the data related to web, mail, and database hosting, but only web hosting data is backed up incrementally. In other words, only changes in data related to web are taken into account in incremental backups, while database and mail related data is included in full.

so that means, incremental backups have the mail data in full ? so if i got a client with 2tb on mail content it will be saved in full in all incremental backups?
That's correct. There no way around this as far as I know. You can either exclude mail from being backup or have all mail backedup.

Woh that's very bad, that's why I never have space for my backups in my server I thought was my error or configuration issue. That's a big issue to have that, imagine got a client with 2tb of mail content. So I have to tell client to backup their own mail.

cPanel have incremental for mails i think, why Plesk so different

Mail data gets backuped incremental as well, I don't know why the notes state otherwise.
Maybe this comes from a time when Plesk used the mbox format (but did they really ever do so?) for storing emails on the server?

I stand corrected. @ChristophRo is right. The notes you quoted are from the Plesk 12.5 documentation. Which, as far as I am aware, used a different backup mechanism.

The documentation for Plesk Obsidian states that:
Plesk includes the following data in incremental backups:
  • Web hosting data changed since the time of the last backup (full and incremental).
  • Mail data changed since the time of the last backup (full and incremental).
  • Full backup of database data.

This will happen if the timestamps on files change, e.g. because a client is modifying the individual mails, tagging them with some data for example.

Back