• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Backup Manager, wrong email address sender

PeopleInside

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.55 Update #2
When I create a backup and ask to be notified by email when the backup is ended, I get no email.
Email go into the spam and is refused by my email provider because is sent from not my domain but an external email provider, the email address used is my external administrator email address.

I followed the guide to set a different sender:
- How to change 'from' field in Plesk email notifications sent to clients?

Added on panel.ini the following:

Code:
[notification]
senderAddress= [email protected]

but email from the Backup Manager still arrive from the wrong email address.
I tried to restart Plesk with the SSH command:

Code:
service sw-engine restart && service sw-cp-server restart

but the issue is the same.

Can be a BUG or there is other place where I need look to?

I also checked at Tools & Settings > Server Settings > Full hostname.
Here all is fine.

Did you add your server to the SPF record of the domain of your externally hosted email address so that the server becomes authorized to send emails on behalf of that domain?

Did you add your server to the SPF record of the domain of your externally hosted email address so that the server becomes authorized to send emails on behalf of that domain?
My account in Plesk has a Gmail address.
Usually when Plesk is updated email comes from the root address of my website domain and this is fine so email are delivered.

Only Backup Manager email seems sent from a Gmail account. Plesk has no authorization to use a gmail domain to send email this is why email doesn't get delivered. I want set Backup Manager to send email from my domain.

The Backup Manager sends its notifications on failed or completed backups from the email address that you have entered into the corresponding backup configuration.

The Backup Manager sends its notifications on failed or completed backups from the email address that you have entered into the corresponding backup configuration.
Yes Peter, Backup Manager send a notification email but what email address is used as from?
The email is sent TO my email address but the email what email address will use as FROM?

My issue is that the notification comes FROM my email Gmail so it fails to arrive because Plesk is not allowed to send email with gmail domain.

In a test here from the "admin" account that has an email address "A" I have entered an email address "B" into the notification mail address of the backup job. The backup job has notified me on completion of the backup FROM address B and TO address B, e.g.

Code:
Received: by <sub domain>.<host domain> (Postfix, from userid 0)
id B3BB11EE0477; Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:37:06 +0200 (CEST)
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="===============2994951334783206669=="
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: test@<arbitrary domain>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2023 12:37:06 +0200
Subject: Backup task notification
X-PPP-Message-ID: <169615662670.58878.8046697410584094206@<sub domain>.<host domain>>

It seems I am unable to reproduce the symptom as the daemon uses the recipient address as the sender address. Or that might be exactly the problem, because in such a case indeed the missing SPF entry could cause issues. Would it be possible that you open a support ticket so that staff can check it directly on your server? It would also be the best way to bring the issue to the attention of developers if it is determined that the behavior is unintended. https://support.plesk.com

In a test here from the "admin" account that has an email address "A" I have entered an email address "B" into the notification mail address of the backup job. The backup job has notified me on completion of the backup FROM address B and TO address B, e.g.

Code:
Received: by <sub domain>.<host domain> (Postfix, from userid 0)
id B3BB11EE0477; Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:37:06 +0200 (CEST)
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="===============2994951334783206669=="
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: test@<arbitrary domain>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2023 12:37:06 +0200
Subject: Backup task notification
X-PPP-Message-ID: <169615662670.58878.8046697410584094206@<sub domain>.<host domain>>

It seems I am unable to reproduce the symptom as the daemon uses the recipient address as the sender address. Or that might be exactly the problem, because in such a case indeed the missing SPF entry could cause issues. Would it be possible that you open a support ticket so that staff can check it directly on your server? It would also be the best way to bring the issue to the attention of developers if it is determined that the behavior is unintended. https://support.plesk.com
This confirm the issue: backup manager is wrongly send email from the admin email address.
I believe the sender should be what I set in panel.ini , notification should arrive as for other from a customizable email address.

I have no access to Plesk support.
I will fill a report.

I found a workaround also if I don't know for how long will work:

Ned take template example from the file /usr/local/psa/admin/share/pmmcli/pmmcli-rc.sample
then add and customize the following:

Code:
# Notification mail 'mail-from' parameter
#NOTIFICATION_MAIL_FROM 'Administrator'

# smtpserver name
#SMTPSERVER localhost

# AUTHREQUIRED param of smtpserver
#AUTHREQUIRED 0

Uncommenting the desired string.
I find this solution from here.

I replaced Administrator with my domain email and uncomment the line edited also I set my hostname and uncomment the relative line too.
Emails get time to arrive but this time the from email address is the custom from my domain and works.

Back