• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Backup restore error

MiTo

Basic Pleskian
Hi

I just had to do a restore of one of my domains and got this error msg:

Execution of /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/tomcat.php --update-service mydomain.com -status domadm -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1. Stderr is Not supported by the license key

I saw already that there is another thread marked with "resolved" but for me has "bothering with unsupported java & tomcat installations" nothing to do with "resolved"...

I have a license which includes the backup manager and what the backup manager with this license can back up, it should be able to restore also...otherwise ist's just USELESS !!!

I expect an easy and fast solution to resolve that without doing a bunch of installations of "tomcats" and "javas" and what the hell else. The backup should just restore without issues what it backed up...not more not less.

And yes, i am upset bcs this is productive domain and it just destroyed the work of 2 weeks and my customers are no more able to access the forum nor the shop.

If there is a patch or anyone of the community has a quick workaround without installing packages i do not need, i would be exremely gratefull for a quick answer...

Thx in advance

PS: I couldn't read he article in the other thread as it was removed as "outdated".... :(

I have a license which includes the backup manager and what the backup manager with this license can back up, it should be able to restore also...otherwise ist's just USELESS !!!
The problem not in backup option in license but in Java applications (Tomcat). Looks like that you have

Java Applications off

in Tools & Settings > License Management.
I'd suggest you contact Support regarding this license issue - https://www.plesk.com/support/licensing-and-purchase-support/

PPS: Did finally install tomcat (java was already)

/usr/local/tomcat7$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_37"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.13.9) (rhel-1.13.9.4.el6_7-x86_64)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)

/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-cli$ cd /usr/local/tomcat7
/usr/local/tomcat7$ ./bin/startup.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/local/tomcat7
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/local/tomcat7
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/tomcat7/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /usr
Using CLASSPATH: /usr/local/tomcat7/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/local/tomcat7/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Tomcat started.

And restarted the backup restore.....BUT:

Warning: Restore domain "mydomain.com"
Execution of /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/tomcat.php --update-service mydomain.com -status domadm -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1. Stderr is Not supported by the license key

:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad:

Please, go to Tools & Settings > License Management and check status of Java Applications option.

Java Applications off

Well but this means the backup is a Java App otherwise i would not understand why it just doesn't put files back where it grabbed them before...
And to use Java itself (outside plesk) i do not need any license....
That's mega confusing.

And YES, java is off in the license management...

Last edited:
And YES, java is off in the license management...
So, as I wrote above, contact Licensing Team regarding your license options. In short - you need this option enabled for Tomcat management in Plesk.

So, as I wrote above, contact Licensing Team regarding your license options.

I did as you suggested.

In short - you need this option enabled for Tomcat management in Plesk.

For what ? I didn't need it to set up 7 domains with websites, forums, email and shops...and it was not necessary to back up my files. Means, all my backups i made in the last year are obsolete...useless !?!?

It is ridiculous and outragous to tell a customer he has to upgrade a license AFTER he is trapped...sure i will not...at least not purchase...

Well...will see what the license support says....i'll keep you and the community informed...

Hi

I just had to do a restore of one of my domains and got this error msg:

Hello MiTo,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Just to clarify, you did not change the Plesk license between the moment you took the backup and the moment you tried restoring it? Did you make any other changes (upgrading Plesk to the next major version perhaps) that could have affected the server?

Thx for your reply.

(upgrading Plesk to the next major version perhaps) that could have affected the server?

No, nothing. The Backup was just 5 days old. All i did meanwhile was working on the website/webshop/forum that is hosted with this domain.
Plesk as far i know had no update in the last days and there was no reason for me to install anything on the server itself.

What i changed have been some opcache (zend) options to optimize speed. Zend opcache was already "on" when i did the backup so i guess this won't be the reason.
EDIT: No, i did that for another domain on the server where i run a larger forum...

Any ideas ?

Last edited:
btw....here the very "helpful" answer from the licensing support.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plesk Sales team!

To get technical assistance, please see your options below:

If you purchased a Plesk license from Plesk directly, you can get technical support from Plesk technical team using any preferred contact method - chat, phone or submit ticket https://www.plesk.com/contact-us/support/#content-body

In case you use Plesk through your hosting provider, they are your first point of contact for support and general inquiries. Please contact the company that provides you with your Plesk software. Should you need help identifying who your hosting provider is, please use this link http://www.whoishostingthis.com/ or check your accounting records to find who you pay for hosting.

Also you can use our free support resources:

1. Visit the Plesk Support self-service resources for most commonly asked questions: https://www.plesk.com/support/
2. Collaborate with other professionals at Plesk Facebook Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/plesk/
3. Tweet to Plesk https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=@PleskHelp

Let us know in case of any additional questions.

Regards,
Evgeniya Inshakova
Inside Sales

As i have a fully unmanaged server my provider won't be able to help and will push it back to Plesk....and Plesk to the communiy....and the community to plesk....
Quick help for me and my productive web apps....appearently dead loss.... o_O:(:mad:

All I can say is that this being the default behavior makes absolutely no sense to me. It must be a bug of some kind. I did some searching and asking around - apparently, this is not a common issue, so no clear-cut solution has been forthcoming so far. I can recommend to wait for the word from the licensing team, and also put in a support request in the meantime. If this is a bug, our techs will be able to compile a report with all the necessary technical info and pass it on to developers to be fixed. And if this behavior is expected (which, as I said, seems highly suspect to me), they would at least be able to give a clear explanation of what is going on and what steps must be taken to rectify the situation.

Ok, the answer from the licens/sales dept. you can see above...

Well it seems to me being a bug too. Anything else doesn't make sense. My problem is that i don't have the time to wait for the developers as it is -i repeat- a productive environment. Therefore i created the backups every couple of days...for quick desaster recovery (hahahaha....)
I might be faster to recreate my shop (opencart) and the forum (XenForo like yours) as there are not many products and i did once a database backup within the shop software.

Here is a status update. Plesk Support called me and helped me out of these problems. Here is what they found out and wrote to me:

This case has been submitted as an internal issue with ID #PPPM-4994. The fix is considered to be included in one of the future Plesk updates.

As it was mentioned by my colleague previously, the issue with backup restoration was caused by the fact that backup for this domain contained section '<tomcat>...</tomcat>' in its '.xml' files. This section appeared in them because there is a corresponding database entry in the 'DomainServices' table of Plesk database.

In order to avoid such issues in future the following workaround was suggested:
1. Create a backup of Plesk database:
# plesk db dump psa > /root/psa_dump.sql
2. Login to Plesk database: # plesk db
3. Remove inconsistent record:
mysql> delete from DomainServices where dom_id=4 and type='tomcat';

After that, all newly created backups will not contain '<tomcat>...</tomcat>' section and should restore without issues.
Also, to fix the issue for existing backups it is needed to remove '<tomcat>...</tomcat>' section from all '.xml' files in `/var/lib/psa/dumps/domains/domain.tld/` directory.

Hope that is helpful for anyone with the same problem.

Another BIG THX @modronmarch for his help in this case !

Back