• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Backup Strategy

Gene Steinberg

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 9.3
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.58 Update #2
I am seeking a low-cost backup Strategy.

I use Microsoft OneDrive for the Plesk Backup of a VPS XXL install.

It has limitation, though. If anything happens to the VPS and I need to set up another server, that backup cannot be accessed via Plesk Backup by any way I know about. I can move the login, but it doesn't see the files from the other server.

The IONOS cloud backup is much too costly in relation to the package I have.

I'm considering the IONOS HiDrive to use for FTP backups. Should the VPS somehow becomes unavailable, can a Plesk Backup of this sort be transferred to another Plesk server?

Is there another solution to there that is cost-effective?

Peace,
Gene Steinberg

Any regular Plesk backup that was done via FTP/FTPS can be restored to any Plesk server that has the same version or newer version. You only need an entry "allowRestoreModifiedDumps = on" in the "[pmm]" section of /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/panel.ini so that the new server accepts the key of the backup that was created on the old server.

What about the Microsoft OneDrive?

And this item in the Settings of Plesk Backup:

"You can encrypt Plesk database passwords contained in backups with the Plesk encryption key or with a password. The key is unique for each Plesk installation. Backups encrypted with the key can be restored only in the Plesk installation where they were created and cannot be restored in another Plesk installation. Note that Plesk does not protect all sensitive data in a backup. We recommend you store backups in remote cloud storage and enable backup encryption on the cloud storage side."

Peace,
Gene

Could you please describe what error message exactly you get when trying to restore content from Microsoft OneDrive? There should not be any issue with files not showing when you login to the same OneDrive account.

This is a problem I had recently. When logging into the same account from another server prior to restoring, it did not see the backups at all.

Period.

I wasn't able to get the Plesk Transfer to see it either (server SSH failed though Plesk and individual domain access worked), but I was able to get the database dumps and domain files manually.

Is that a limitation of OneDrive?

Peace,
Gene

No, it should not be a limitation. I suggest to contact Plesk support so that a support engineer can check it directly on your server.

Alas, they apparently couldn't understand the concern, which is not being able to access a OneDrive set of backup files on another server via Plesk Backup.

I've gone back and forth with them and the host, and they can't see that core issue.

Gene

Back