• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved cannot get sender domain

Franco

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

on my VPS I only host websites and no email service. The only thing, websites originate emails via their contact forms. For this reason email is activated postfix, but disactivated email service at each subscription level and no domain email mailbox is defined. Generally the emails are correctly sent out, although defining the smtp gateway remains a piece of art and tricks.

Anyway, checking the /var/log/maillog I regularly see this kind of warning, even with successfully sent emails:

- check-quota[2330]: cannot get sender domain

Can somebody let me know where to look to solve it, please? I read this thread Question - 550 verification failed (Unable to get sender domain by sender mailname) and looked at my postfix/main.cf. There I see an empty mynetworks variable. Should I change it?

Regards
Franco

Hi Franco,

There I see an empty mynetworks variable. Should I change it?
The standart setting would be:
Code:
mynetworks = , 127.0.0.0/8 [::1]/128 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/32
( where "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" should be replaced with YOUR unique server IP. If you have more than one server IP, pls. add them as well with a space to the previous one(s). )

Thanks UFHH01,
I updated the file as per suggestion (have only one IP#) and restarted postfix, but then I had this:

vps journal: plesk sendmail[5044]: REJECT during call 'limit-out' handler
vps py_limit_out[5066]: ERROR Rejecting message: system user uid='10000' is not allowed to send mail
vps journal: plesk sendmail[5065]: handlers_stderr: DATA REPLY:554:5.7.0 Your message could not be sent. The user cp30310 is not allowed to send email.#012REJECT

It was the first email and the quota is at least 10/hour. I then disabled the quota management system and the messages now go through, but the 'cannot get sender domain' is back :(

vps check-quota[6139]: cannot get sender domain
vps check-quota[6139]: Unable to intialize check-quota mail handler
vps journal: plesk sendmail[6138]: Error during 'check-quota' handler

Hi Franco,

pls. make sure, that you have the latest Plesk updates/patches installed on your server:
Code:
plesk installer update

You limitations to your specific system user accounts results of your eMail - settings for your domains. If you desire to whitelist specific accounts, pls. check your file "/etc/passwd" with for example:
Code:
grep XXXX /etc/passwd
and use the depending system - user - name, to whitelist it:
Code:
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mailmng-outgoing --add-to-whitelist --sysuser=YOUR-DESIRED-SYSTEM-USER

Hi,

thanks, I have added the system users and emails go through with the quota activated. However, the check-quota messages continue to be logged.

My plesk is up to date, according to the results of the 'plesk installer update' command.

Hi Franco,

However, the check-quota messages continue to be logged
Pls. post the new warnings/errors/informations from your log - file, to investigate, if you could ignore ( possible ) warnings, as you now whitelisted depending usernames, even that you restricted the eMail - usage for the depending domains. ;)

Very similar to what posted already (from maillog):

Oct 18 18:33:20 vps journal: plesk sendmail[10601]: handlers_stderr: PASS
Oct 18 18:33:20 vps journal: plesk sendmail[10601]: PASS during call 'limit-out' handler
Oct 18 18:33:20 vps check-quota[10603]: cannot get sender domain
Oct 18 18:33:20 vps check-quota[10603]: Unable to intialize check-quota mail handler
Oct 18 18:33:20 vps journal: plesk sendmail[10601]: Error during 'check-quota' handler
Oct 18 18:33:20 vps postfix/pickup[10569]: B922289198: uid=10011 from=<[email protected]>
Oct 18 18:33:20 vps postfix/cleanup[10607]: B922289198: message-id=<[email protected]>

Is there another log file to look at?

Hi Franco,

pls. include your complete master.cf and main.cf for further investigations as attachments. If you made any manual adjustments, pls. consider as well to point out your manual changes.

Thanks, files attached :)

Attachments

• main.cf.txt
    29.1 KB · Views: 7
  • master.cf.txt
    6.6 KB · Views: 3
Hi Franco,

a I noticed a quite old standart postfix configuration, you should consider to provide more informations:
  • YOUR current used operating system
  • YOUR current used Plesk version ( incl. #MU )
  • YOUR current used postfix version

In addition, pls. note, that you configured your OVH - VPS to use the "REDIRECT" - MX - entry, instead of using the "hostname", configured on your server. If you have problems, configuring your DNS entries at the OVH - Control Panel, pls. contact the official OVH support. :)

Missing SPF, DKIM and DMARC - entries on your nameserver for your FQDN of your server, can cause issues/errors/problems, when communicating with other eMail - servers. Pls. invest some time to inform yourself about the correct configuration with for example:

Oh no, bad news :(
The OVH stuff is a migration heritage, I have a new VPS on 1&1 for almost 2 years. When I ported the subscriptions I did not think it affected postfix. But where do you see that in the files I provided? I see no OVH mentioned.
Anyway, how to update it?

Here's my versions:

.CentOS 7.4.1708
.Plesk 17.5.3 Update #25
.Postfix 2.10.1-6.el7

Thanks for the DKIM, etc., I thought about doing it (well, first study what and how).

Hi Franco,

pls. go to the Control Panel of your domain provider. You have there all options to change/edit/modify existent DNS - entries.

To check your current MX - DNS - entries, you could use for example:

CentOS Linux 7.4.1708
Plesk 17.5.3 Update #25
postfix-2.10.1-6.0.1.el7

I see this messages also in the maillog

spf[5759]: Error code: (31) include: or redirect= caused unlimited recursion

this message goes away when i remove "include:spf.trusted-forwarder.org" in Plesk > Mailserver Settings > Local SPF Rule

See: Emails are deferred during SPF check: DEFER DNS lookup failure tempfail

This entrys comes up only by forwarded mails
Oct 19 20:31:49 v37158 check-quota[6518]: cannot get sender domain
Oct 19 20:31:49 v37158 check-quota[6518]: Unable to intialize check-quota mail handler
Oct 19 20:31:49 v37158 journal: plesk sendmail[6516]: Error during 'check-quota' handler

the mails are anyway succesfully forwarded to the external mail adress
for this I do not know what to do? DNS spf record seems to be fine

kind regards

Last edited:
Hi Brujo,

this message goes away when i remove "include:spf.trusted-forwarder.org" in Plesk > Mailserver Settings > Local SPF Rule
This external service ( spf.trusted-forwarder.org ) is not existent anymore and the FQDN has no more IP associated.

For further informations and suggestions, you should consider to provide MORE informations ( i.e. your FQDN and your depending mail - server configuration files ), so that people willing to help have the chance to investigate your issues/errors/problems. ;)

Very similar to what posted already (from maillog):

Oct 18 18:33:20 vps journal: plesk sendmail[10601]: handlers_stderr: PASS
Oct 18 18:33:20 vps journal: plesk sendmail[10601]: PASS during call 'limit-out' handler
Oct 18 18:33:20 vps check-quota[10603]: cannot get sender domain
Oct 18 18:33:20 vps check-quota[10603]: Unable to intialize check-quota mail handler
Oct 18 18:33:20 vps journal: plesk sendmail[10601]: Error during 'check-quota' handler
Oct 18 18:33:20 vps postfix/pickup[10569]: B922289198: uid=10011 from=<[email protected]>
Oct 18 18:33:20 vps postfix/cleanup[10607]: B922289198: message-id=<[email protected]>

Is there another log file to look at?

I'm getting this too. "plesk repair" and rebooting the server did not help.

I however do not get any SPF errors. It is only on locally forwarded email it looks like.
I have SPF checking turned off.

I also have an empty "mynetworks =" in my "/etc/postfix/main.cf"
I do have this though, which might supercede that:
smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts = 127.0.0.0/8 [::1]/128

Running 7.5.3#25, and the rest from my signature below.

Attaching my main.cf file below.

Attachments

• piper-main.cf.txt.zip
    10.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hi G J Piper,

Pls. see my previous suggestion at: => #2
I refrained from doing the #2 fix because he says it didn’t work in the next post. Your next attempt using the plural command in post #4 I have already tried. Also I get the error on multiple domains with many different forwarding accounts. Could it be a bug? It only showed up recently.

Hi G J Piper,

Franco's issue was indeed ( as well ) the misconfiguration on his nameserver, but this doesn't mean, that you shouldn't correct the missing entries at your "mynetworks" - settings. ;)

To investigate @Brujo ( main ) root cause, if the suggestion didn't already work, I don't have enough informations and your informations can't be investigated further by me, because of missing FQDN and/or IP. It's a pitty, that you desire to anonymize such informations, even that they are public informations anyway. :( ( btw. : bots and scripts can't parse forum attachments, as you have to be logged in to see attachments. ;) )

Hi G J Piper,

Franco's issue was indeed ( as well ) the misconfiguration on his nameserver, but this doesn't mean, that you shouldn't correct the missing entries at your "mynetworks" - settings. ;)

Ok I added the mysetworks settings. I restarted postfix, then I rebooted the entire server — didn't stop the error messages.
Fortunately, the emails are still forwarding and going out correctly regardless, but the error messages are annoying.

My DNS is handled remotely by GoDaddy DNS services, so all my domains have always been in slave (secondary name server) mode.

Here are some interesting excerpts from the logs —

When receiving an email to be delivered directly AND forwarded to another local mailbox:
Oct 19 19:42:00 pcsserver plesk sendmail[1478]: handlers_stderr: PASS
Oct 19 19:42:00 pcsserver plesk sendmail[1478]: PASS during call 'limit-out' handler
Oct 19 19:42:00 pcsserver check-quota[1480]: cannot get sender domain
Oct 19 19:42:00 pcsserver check-quota[1480]: Unable to intialize check-quota mail handler
Oct 19 19:42:00 pcsserver plesk sendmail[1478]: Error during 'check-quota' handler

When receiving a normal email delivered directly to a local mailbox:
Oct 19 18:41:46 pcsserver /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[17151]: handlers_stderr: SKIP
Oct 19 18:41:46 pcsserver /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[17151]: SKIP during call 'limit-out' handler
Oct 19 18:41:46 pcsserver check-quota[23500]: Starting the check-quota filter...
Oct 19 18:41:46 pcsserver /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[17151]: handlers_stderr: SKIP
Oct 19 18:41:46 pcsserver /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[17151]: SKIP during call 'check-quota' handler

Hi G J Piper,

I suggest to contact the official Plesk support ( as deeper investigations have to be done directly on your server, if you don't provide enough informations ) or/and open a corresponding bug - report at => Home > Forum > Plesk Discussion > Reports , if you are able to reproduce the issue.

Back