• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Changing WordPress installation directory

custer

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

Some of you are asking us to add the ability to change WordPress (possibly other APS apps too) installation directory after WordPress has been installed. We would like to understand the root cause of this request to make sure we're addressing the right issue and not just the symptoms. We would appreciate if you could answer the questions below for us:

1. Do you need this functionality to support some sort of staging scenario, where you're synchronizing changes between "staging" and "production" instances?

2. Do you develop WP websites in a temporary directory not easily accessible from outside and then, as soon as you consider the website to be ready, you are moving it to the "final" (production) directory?

3. Is there a scenario different from #1 and #2 above that requires moving WP to a different directory after the installation, and if so, could you describe the business scenario?

If you have other suggestions or thoughts regarding this issue, we'd love to hear them as well. Thank you!

"Staging scenario" for me. By now I'm using a plugin to move or sync WP instances. it would be easier if moving could be supported by the WP tools or directly by the APS management tools.

Regards

Yes. I setup a Wordpress site at dev.domain.com in its own directory. I am ready to go live with it and so in Plesk I point the domain.com from the original.directory to the new directory dev.domain.com and it works, except urls still show dev.domain.com. But when I change the Wordpress Site and Home URLs from hhtp://dev.domain.com to http://domain.com so that I will see domain.com and not dev.domain.com I get a database error and can no longer access the site. I have to go into mysql to change the URLS back.... : (

Everyone, FYI: we are planning to improve WordPress Toolkit by adding the ability to quickly clone WordPress instances. We're also planning to enable the staging > production synchronization scenario. I hope these changes will address your wishes.

The use case is a staging scenario as written here in the documentation.

I changed the Wordpress installation from a subdirectory to root, but now Plesk Panell shows up errors, because it cannot find the WP instance:
{"err_code":40001,"err_message":"Unable to read or execute files from WordPress root directory: \/var\/www\/vhosts\/domain.de\/httpdocs\/beta\/"} PHP Notice: Undefined variable: exit in /usr/share/plesk-wp-cli/php/class-wp-cli.php on line 623 …

Old url was: /beta
New url is root: /

How can I manually change the location in Plesk to point to the new path?

I will be great if we have option to create some sort of subscription and when we choose it, it should automatically install wordpress to the domain example.com and in the same time create subdomain at dev.example.com with option to pull and push from dev to production and vice versa.

3 = We sometimes need to copy a wordpress theme or wordpress plugin from subscription A to subscription B (from development to production folder)

Back