• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Database Inbuilt Updater

matt001

New Pleskian
Hi

I am new to Plesk coming from cPanel. Within cPanel GUI when an update for MySQL was out you could use the MySQL Updater Tool within cPanel / WHM to update without having to use commands

Is their any reason why Plesk doesn't have a GUI based update tool to update MariaDB if users want to? I am no Linux Guru and would prefer if possible to do things through the GUI.

I think this would be good to have added and it allows you to choose which version you want to upgrade to to keep it up to date.

Matthew

I think the fact is that in Plesk, unlike the cPanel, where its value is not so important, the system database (psa) runs on the same MySQL server as the client databases. Therefore, incorrect updating of the database server can bring down the whole Plesk. Thus, this upgrade procedure is available only to CLI experienced system administrators.

I think the fact is that in Plesk, unlike the cPanel, where its value is not so important, the system database (psa) runs on the same MySQL server as the client databases. Therefore, incorrect updating of the database server can bring down the whole Plesk. Thus, this upgrade procedure is available only to CLI experienced system administrators.
IT experts like me :)

I'm completely new to webdev, having started this project only a few days ago, no Javascript experience and even no DB experience. I do have a good amount of experience in C and Python. The only webdev I had ever done was CS50 a couple of years ago, and that didn't cover much.

I've actually made a working demo version of this using a local MongoDB, a Node server and Pusher. I made the server connect to the database, listen to the changestream, and then on a change event it triggers https://speedtest.vet/ https://vidmate.bid/ the pusher event and sends the data, which is then used by the client subscribed to the pusher channel.

Now my feeling is that this is a little bit overkill. For instance, using the changestream for MongoDB required me to make a replica set, I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for that but it seems more something for companies than for a small project like ours. In general since it's my first time I just have no idea if I should keep using this stack or change to something else.

Last edited:
Back