• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Dns - Name Server Problem

S

Silence

Hi There,

We're having same problems with PLESK name servers....

Sometimes stop the service and the webpages go down...so we just restart the service and then goes everything ok.

In The event Log, i have this:

UDP client handler shutting down due to fatal receive error: host unreachable

What can we do?

Thanks!

Looks like you might have a firewall blocking UDP port 53. Add that port as an exception and it might fix your problem.

Looks like you might have a firewall blocking UDP port 53. Add that port as an exception and it might fix your problem.

My Firewall is OFF, it keap happen!

Someone knows how to solve this?

Thanks!

Are you positive that your server can reach the nameservers it is assigned? For example, if it's using 208.67.220.220, ping it and do a direct DNS lookup with that NS as source to make sure it's working correctly. In windows this is done by suffixing the nslookup query with the IP of the name server to use:
nslookup example.com 208.67.220.220

It's also possible that the version of your name server is old and doesnt have the latest patch applied - which your provider might be testing for, and has disabled your access to their name server because of it.

I would guess the name servers you're using are timing out, and you're getting hit with multiple DNS requests simultaneously, killing your DNS service. The best thing to try would be to change the name servers you're using. If you don't have alternates from your colo/isp, try OpenDNS.

Hi,

I have the same problem on a windows 2008 server (web edition) running plesk 9.2

Did you find a solution for this problem?

Thank you.

Marcel Wauters

Dear jnarvaez,

My hosting provider has contacted Parallels about this problem.
They suggested moving to MS DNS because a bug in Bind DNS indeed seems to be the cause of the problem.
Unfortunatly MS DNS is not available in Windows 2008 Server Web Edition, so we decided to update the Bind DNS version. This has been done two days ago and it seems to work fine now.

Marcel

Dear alldirections,

It's very nice hear that. I am updating it right now, did you updated to 9.6.1 version?

I do not want to use MS DNS at this moment.

BTW I have also scheduled a task attached to the named events which sends me an email to my mobile phone when it crashes, it could be helpful.

Best regards

Dear jnarvaez,

Unfortunately, the problem is not solved by upgrading Bind DNS.
The DNS servers keeps on crashing so we had to reactivate the temporally fix that restarts this service automatically every 15 minutes.

Marcel

Back