• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS recursion bigfix doesn't fix anything (and 'unfixes' fixed configs)

breun

Golden Pleskian
The Plesk 8.1.0 release notes say:

9. DNS recursion bugfix

DNS recursion option allows only localnet recursion by default.

While this is a good thing, I believe the bugfix is pretty buggy, because the upgrade to 8.1.0 put the following in my /etc/named.conf:

Code:
allow-recursion {
                any;
        };

Testing with http://www.kloth.net/services/nslookup.php for instance shows BIND allows recursion. I changed any to 127.0.0.1 and things are fine after restarting named.

Are other people seeing this too? I've done two upgrades to 8.1.0 so far and both boxes had allow-recursion set to any afterwards. Even if it was set to 127.0.0.1 before starting the upgrade, so the 'fix' actually 'unfixed' my configuration!

My Fedora Core 4's named have a correct settings according to release notes. Your OS, dude?

CentOS 4 on the first box, Fedora Core 3 on the second. Both ended up with 'allow-recursion { any };' in /etc/named.conf after the upgrade. What is the exact allow-recursion statement that the upgrade put in your config?

For 8.0.1 Add all to named.conf

You can fix it manually:

named.conf.include.plesk-options
Code:
        allow-recursion {
                localnets;
        };

I understand I can fix this manually, but I shouldn't have to. And the update to Plesk 8.1.0 should definitely not change my config to allow recursion to any host!

Originally posted by breun
I understand I can fix this manually, but I shouldn't have to. And the update to Plesk 8.1.0 should definitely not change my config to allow recursion to any host!
It is not critical, just worse that:

Code:
listen-on       {127.0.0.1;}

After Update i have:
* recursion fixed
* but fixed listen-on, that bind didn't work at all.

sorry for my bad English =(

Back