• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Email Issues - Again. Please Help :(

360webfirm

Basic Pleskian
hello to all of you.

I have been experiencing lots of bounced back email from places. I have had issues where they are blocking my domain and email and also issues where I get this error.

Recipient address rejected: Message rejected due to: SPF fail - not authorized

I have my text set and my SPF turned on, I am just at aw because I cannot figure out what I need to do. Here are mt setting for the email.

SETTINGS
Installed mail server QMail
Installed IMAP/POP3 server Dovecot

SPF turned on and set up under DNS txt to - v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:158.69.196.131 ?all

I just dont get it. I wish their were a simple setp by step way of setting up email, settings, security, and everything else I woudl need to finally get my emails to work. I am new to VPS and trying my hard to work with Plesk, but I find it works great in all apescts except email.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or provide server wide setting for email and what settings I should and should not use.

I get emails and can send emails, but half the time ti get the SPF error above.

Regards and thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi Steve,
firstly, are you using your VPS as the nameserver or your domains registrar? Eg OVH, 1&1, Webfusion, 123-Reg.
If you are using your registrar make sure you have added the TXT record there too.

I prefer to use something like...
v=spf1 a mx ptr ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx a:mail.yourdomain.com -all

Secondly have you set the rDNS to match your mail server name, using mxtoolbox.com I see it is a generic vps name, as is the mail server name.
You need to set the mail server name to mail.prepky.com, along with the rDNS.

Hope that helps
Kind regards

Lloyd

Last edited:
Hi Lloyd, thank you so much for your help!

I set up name servers for my domain - ns1.prepky.com and ns2.prepky.com I have the main ip and the falloff as the secondary name server. I set up the A records for this and also the NS records, I check it here - http://www.intodns.com/prepky.com and it all seems ok. No issues at all with my websites.

I then set up the txt with this - v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:X.X.X.X. ?all - where x.x.x.x. is my dedicated ip address. I also have span assassin enabled and odin anti virus. Not sure what else I need to do? What are you referring to as rDNS ( reverse? ) How do I set this up?

Is there anything else you can see that might be wrong? I really appreciate your help.

I have so many clients that want to go on a VPS and OVH is very inexpensive and such, but I am not the greatest with plesk and I am having so many email issues...

I just changed to Dovecot and now I cannot even send mail. This is getting ridiculous. I love Plesk, but HATE the emails setting. I just wish there was a simple instructional; video or write up to make sure all settings are good. I have used WHM/Cpanel for years without issues like this.

I'm not sure where you set the rDNS (Reverse DNS or PTR) with OVH, when I was with Webfusion we had to submit a ticket.
Other than your mail server name and rDNS not matching with mail.yourdomain.com, I didn't see much wrong, get those changed and you should be good.

To change Qmail's name you need to edit..
Code:
/var/qmail/control/me

You can't send mail now?

http://kb.odin.com/en/944

Code:
~# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk --with-spam

To repair mail.
Hope that helps
Regards

Lloyd

Last edited:
Now I am getting when sending, none of the authenticated methods are supported by this client are supported by this server I just changed to Postfix from Qmail.

PLEASE HELP, this has been an ongoing issue. I did the repair above and restarted server but still same issue.

Hi Steve,
So now you are running Postfix and Dovecot, Plesk 12.5? And what OS?
Can you attach your sanitized /etc/postfix/main.cf as a txt file please.
Thanks
Kind regards

Lloyd

Good Morning Lloyd.

I tried everything once again to run with Postfix - Could never get this thing to work. I just put back QMail. I set up with IMAP instead of PoP this time I do get emails and it does send out except now I get a warning for a certificate each time I login to Outlook. I just agree with it and then it seems to be working. I have spam protection turned on and the anti virus on. Before I used PoP.

Linux Always with using Centros 6 - Using OVH VPS Hosting. I did an update on OS a month or so ago also so everything is up to date I believe. The email thing never worked for me for PostFix, and with QMail, my email gets rejected by certain people and has SPF issues like discussed before.

I then did not get any email when doing a test a few hours later and I went into my Plesk control panel and then went to my mail settings and spam, and there was over 350 emails in Q. I deleted them all and then I got my two test messages. Weird..

Can you tell me your settings you use for mail, QMail or Postfix, and what settings you use because for the life of me, I cannot get this darn email thing to work like it should.

What do you suggest as I will do it because I just want a stable email environment that works and does not get refused from others and is safe. PLEASE HELP..

Thanks again.

Steve

Hi Steve,
did you get the rDNS sorted out?

http://help.ovh.co.uk/PersonalisedReverse

That was the only thing I saw to be an issue, so that's where I would start.

Personally I use Postfix and Dovecot on my servers with DomainKeys, SPF, DKIM, and ClamAV.
My hostname, mail server name and rDNS are all mail.domain.tld. Mail Service providers really don't like mismatched mail server name and rDNS.

Hope the link helps
Kind regards

Lloyd

This might sound silly for you, but is it hard to set up the rDNS? I have read this before and just cannot understand how to do this. I am far from a Linux admin, even though I took Cisco for 2 years, but have not done a lot of this at all.

If you can make me a simple step by step on how to do this with easy to understand instructions, I will pay you if you want.

Thanks again Lloyd.

I have a few Dedicated Ip address I purchased if this helps in setting up rDNS - I added them to the Plesk and they are being used as the secondary nameservers.

First, create A field for your future server name.

mail.domain.tld. IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

You should already have that in Plesk.
Then you need to login to your OVH Control Panel and click Services then Reverse and enter the rDNS (or PTR) mail.domain.tld for your servers main IP Address.
I'm not sure if that's any clearer, any problems give me a shout, I'll see what I can do.
Kind regards

Lloyd

Like this, see image please...

reverse-example.jpg

What about the other ip assigned to this server - 192.99.188.75 ? I have 3 servers ( VPS )

I owe you a coffee or something once I get this fixed Lloyd.

My Mail Settings ( would love to use PostFix )

Installed mail server QMail

Installed IMAP/POP3 server Dovecot

SPF Protection ON - Domain Keys ON - ODIN Antivirus Installed and ON - Spam filter settings, All ON

Yeah like that, though I'd have mail.prepky.com as the reverse as prepky.com isn't a valid hostname (according to mxtoolbox.com "Reverse DNS is not a valid Hostname").
Then you just need to edit Qmails "me" file (/var/qmail/control/me) to match mail.prepky.com.

Well, once we get all checks passed I'll give you a hand with Postfix too.

No problem, happy to help
Kind regards

Lloyd

That's looking much better, if you have any issues with using prepky.com as the qmail hostname just rename it mail.prepky.com, it looks like you should be ok though.
Let me know how you get on mate.
Kind regards

Lloyd

Back