• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Error updating from Linux 9.13

Symer

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 9.13
Plesk version and microupdate number
I don't know
Good morning,
I wanted to update my linux 9.13 to 10 (and then go to 11), but the first step doesn't work.

I used this tutorial https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12377714344983

When installing apt-get dist-upgrade, at the end it told me that some packages are missing and it may not work.

I tried to start the entire tutorial again, but it didn't help.

And since plesk and my site no longer respond :-(
I don't know my version of Plesk anymore. This is the latest version available on Debian 9.13

Did it said what packages was missing?

Usually what I would do is make sure you have a backup of the server and taking a snapshot of the server before proceeding with the upgrade in the off chance anything happens I can fall back to it. to review and try again another time.

In this case, what I would had done is after a failed upgrade to roll back to my snapshot and just spin up a new server to migrate everything to (then again I would had done that anyways since it's usually less headache in my experiences).

But, anyways, if you know what packages is missing you might be able to recover by installing the missing packages, if it's plesk related packages then downloading the installer and running through it again choosing to repair. And you might want to double check if you are still on debian 9 and not really on 10.

It's a bit of a problem, is that I closed the window and I don't know which packages are missing.

For the backup, I had made one but it is still on the server. ( to recover it, I am downloading the dump folder via FTP, is this a correct solution? )

If I take a new server in debian 11, if I upload my dump file, can I recover everything?

Otherwise how do I know which version of Debian I am on, I think the migration must have been done only halfway...

Besides, if I put the command

plesk install update

It puts me Plesk: command not found. So I already think that I must be missing this package...

... and I don't know which packages are missing.
If it is related to a Plesk installation you can check in /var/log/plesk/install/autoinstaller3.log what happened last.
For Debian apt the logs should be available in /var/log/apt/.

I think first of all, I should try to complete the debian installation correctly.

I remember and I see in the logs that I also had a problem with "bind9", I have this error message:
Job for bind9.service failed because a timeout was exceeded.

PS: Thank you for your help and sorry I really don't have enough knowledge in debian. I will see to do a training

I found this error in the logs also at the end of the "dist-upgrade" command
Error: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

And finally, my Plesk installation ends like this:

rrors were encountered while processing:
bind9
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Lancement des contrôles composants et produits...
[2023-04-28 23:53:23.636588] FileFetcher: get file (~empty)/report-update
[2023-04-28 23:53:23.636802] Téléchargement du fichier report-update: 0%
[2023-04-28 23:53:23.688545] Téléchargement du fichier report-update: 100% a été terminé.
[2023-04-28 23:53:23.688720]
[2023-04-28 23:53:23.689183] FileFetcher: get file (~empty)/pool/PSA_18.0.52_11600/examiners/py_launcher.sh
[2023-04-28 23:53:23.689291] Téléchargement du fichier pool/PSA_18.0.52_11600/examiners/py_launcher.sh: 0%
[2023-04-28 23:53:23.717253] Téléchargement du fichier pool/PSA_18.0.52_11600/examiners/py_launcher.sh: 100% a été terminé.
[2023-04-28 23:53:23.717418]
[2023-04-28 23:53:24.218407] Examination executed ["/root/parallels/pool/PSA_18.0.52_11600/examiners/py_launcher.sh" "/root/parallels/report-update" --op upgrade --rc 1 --start-flag /var/lock/plesk-report-update.flag --to=18.0.52.0 --from=18.0.44] with code 0
Output:
~empty
Error:
ERROR 1049 (42000): Unknown database 'psa'
ERROR 1049 (42000): Unknown database 'psa'

[2023-04-28 23:53:24.222927] Execute command /opt/psa/admin/bin/send-error-report install
[2023-04-28 23:53:24.238039] Error: Une erreur est survenue lors de la tentative d'installation des packs.
Attention ! Votre logiciel risque de ne pas fonctionner.
Visitez https://support.plesk.com/ pour trouver une solution.

Bonjour, merci pour votre message. J'ai réussi (je pense) à restaurer un dump de pré-mise à niveau de Plesk.
Mais j'ai toujours un problème quand je veux utiliser la commande "plesk", ça me dit command not found :(

Bonjour, merci pour votre message. J'ai réussi (je pense) à restaurer un dump de pré-mise à niveau de Plesk.
Mais j'ai toujours un problème quand je veux utiliser la commande "plesk", ça me dit command not found :(
Translation:
Hello, thank you for your message. I managed (I think) to restore a Plesk pre-upgrade dump.
But I still have a problem when I want to use the "plesk" command, it tells me command not found

@Symer aside from the plesk command not working, are you able to login to Plesk without any issues?

Are you able to run /usr/local/psa/bin/repair?

Hi,
No, Plesk no longer works, I can no longer access it from my web browser.

Directory /psa/ does not exist in folder /usr/local/

@Symer If the Plesk installation is badly damaged you can consider to setup a new server (or setup the same from scratch), install a fresh Plesk on it and restore the contents from your full Plesk backup. You can also contact Plesk Support if you want to take a chance to restore the system from the current state.

Thanks for your reply, I'll do that. I will reinstall the server under debian 11 and plesk. It will definitely be easier.

Back