• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Exclude directory/files from backup

DariuszR

New Pleskian
Is there a way to exclude specific directories or files from Plesk backup? Before I upgraded to 12.5 I could do it by creating hidden directory (name starting with .) and Plesk backup script didn't include it in backup by default. Right now in 12.5 script includes these directories in backup. So is there another way to exclude something from backup? Thanks.

Out of curiosity, why are you excluding those folders? Do they keep cache files or something similar?

I'm using one of the domains for backing up files from my personal computer trough ftp and I don't want them to being backed up because it takes lot of space.

I suppose content dumping behaviour have changed a bit. As there are no special options nor in Backup Manager nor in pleskbackup, probably you could try change file permissions, because web content backed up under your sysuser. In such case backup agent will skip these file it cannot access. As a drawback you will have warnings about these files in a backup log.

It's not solution for me. Files uploaded trough ftp has owner set as domain owner so the same as backup process running user I guess. If I setup some crontab job to change permissions for these files it will block me from downloading them trough ftp also. I'm doing couple of different backup tasks and one of them is uploading photos from my two phones trough ftp and then I'm downloading these photos to my computer by ftp also.

I personally think as well, that the option to exclude folders should be an additional option with manual and scheduled backups.

In the Plesk 12.5 admin manual there is a screenshot of the backup page. It has an option to exclude backup directories. On my servers this option is not there.

Is the admin manual showing the wrong info?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 28
This feature will be available in the next Plesk version. Looks like that you have installed preview Plesk 17 where this option is available.

Back