• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FTP Storage Settings

Madness

Basic Pleskian
Plesk updated today now im getting this Transport error: unable to list directory: Curl error: Timeout was reached. Server response code: 421

Do you have @ symbol in ftp user name?
ftpback-rbx3-390.ovh.net

The username is just letters & Numbers with .ovh.net at the end.

Tried again this morning worked first time. Not sure what was wrong it seems a bit temperamental.

I had this error when trying to use directories on the backup server. If this is your case then don't use directories, upload all backups to the root directory.

I know that's not ideal, we want to keep clients' backups seperate, but it's all we can do for now. It's an ovh issue, not plesk. For now run periodic backups of the full server and restrict client access to the backup server. Restore by request. When you copy a backup from ftp to your server repository each client will get access to their site backups made as part of the full backup.

It is progress though, before plesk 12.5 we couldn't even link clients' accounts to the ftp backup storage.

Last edited:
I had this error when trying to use directories on the backup server. If this is your case then don't use directories, upload all backups to the root directory.

I know that's not ideal, we want to keep clients' backups seperate, but it's all we can do for now. It's an ovh issue, not plesk. For now run periodic backups of the full server and restrict client access to the backup server. Restore by request. When you copy a backup from ftp to your server repository each client will get access to their site backups made as part of the full backup.

It is progress though, before plesk 12.5 we couldn't even link clients' accounts to the ftp backup storage.

Directory for backup files storage: I just leave this blank it's the only way it seems to work.

Ovh manager will only let the server ip access to the backup so don't think I can even create directorys. Unless I'm wrong and there is a way to connect from my home?

You're right that the only way to access is through your main server. Other than making sure you use 'passive' mode there's nothing else I can suggest.

Hopefully someone with more experience can step in.

You are always able to login directly from your server to your FTP - storage - server and create the desired backup - folders manually from your command line:

Connect over ssh to your server and use the commands:

ftp server-domain-name.com
( you will see a prompt, which ask you to put in your username and password )​

Afterwards, please check the current commands on your FTP - server:​

help

"mkdir" should be listed and you may now use:​

mkdir my_desired_folder_name
chmod 777 my_desired_folder_name

Now you are able to use this folder "/my_desired_folder_name/" in your Plesk settings.

I have the same issue with an OVH backup server.

I can connect to the FTP just fine via CLI and delete/put files no issue. When trying to utilise it for Plesk FTP backup storage I'm continually presented with:

Code:
Transport error: unable to list directory: Curl error: Timeout was reached. Server response code: 421

Doing an nslookup on the domain from the OVH nameservers I can get the IP, but even using the IP instead of the domain in the FTP storage settings I get the same error code as above.

Worth noting I do have do have another OVH server utilising their backup storage on a different Plesk instance - no issues there at all.

Last edited:
For the benefit of any other OVH customers, it appears deleting the backup storage and recreating it solves the issue.

Back