• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How do I export a license key?

k.ali

New Pleskian
Your OS version:‪ Ubuntu 14.04.6 LTS‬
Plesk version: Plesk Onyx Version 17.8.11 Update #53

Hello,

I have an old server with a valid license that I no longer need. Now I would like to use this license for a new server, but unfortunately, I don't remember which activation code I used for it since I have a few other servers running.

Is there a way to retrieve this activation code or is there another method to transfer the license to a different server? I would be grateful for any assistance!
Thank you in advance!

I still have the emails containing the activation codes, but since I have multiple activation codes for different Plesk servers, I can no longer precisely determine which one I used for this particular server. Is there any way to find this out?

As far as I know you cannot use a license activation code on a server when that license is already active on another. It is linked to a unique machine ID. As I remember the worst that can happen when trying it out is that the system won't accept the activation key. If it does and breaks another activation on another system we can still ask licensing support to check it in detail.

The article describes that you must remove the license key from the existing server (deinstall Plesk completely). Yes, sure, in that case it will work. But it will probably not work if the license key is still in use (if Plesk was not removed from the old server).

I simply transferred the XML files from the old server located in the directory /etc/sw/keys/keys to the new server. Afterwards,
I shut down the server since it will be formatted soon and receive a new operating system.

Then, I imported the files using the following commands:

plesk bin license -i xxxxxxxxxxx
plesk bin license -i xxxxxxxxxxx -additional-key true

After retrieving the key in the license management, it displayed the following to me

Status of the key update:

License key has been updated to the most recent version. Current license key number is PLSK.XXXXXXXX.00XX.
Additional license key for the DNSSEC for Plesk (Bundled) application with number EXT.XXXXXX.00XX has been provisioned.

I hope everything is correct; so far, everything looks good!

Back