• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to bulk set FTP remote storage and securing backups for Customers?

hansitheking

Basic Pleskian
Hello I like to offer my customers the posibility to Backup to my remote FTP Server. I can set it for every Customer (explained here) and can also enable the security (explained here). But this is a lot of work for 500 Customers. Is there a way to set both settings via CLI for all customers?

Why your customers can not do it yourself in accordance with your instructions?

We use one FTP-Space with separate folders for each customer. We can not share the Login Data for this FTP-Space. We have purchased one big external Backup Space. If every user needs a extra login there this is a lot of extra work, also most of the big external Backup Spaces only offer 1 to 10 Logins. If we only use the server wide backup it needs a lot of time to restore the backup for one single user.

We use a server wide backup on a big server with 1000+ subscriptions (full backup size is ~600GB), but customers can still restore their objects as fast as if they would use a custom backup job.

Yeah, we use a local disk/array for storing the Plesk server wide backup.

Our "remote" backup is done with Veeam Agent for Linux, that runs in parallell to the Plesk based backup.
We use that as a means of remote/offsite and secondary backup, as we don't trust in having just one backup anyway.

An offsite, but still "local backup" could be realized easily with a mounted NFS or iSCSI drive
Well you could even mount that FTP account on your server and then use the "local backup" method of Plesk to get the backups out. (but still allow customers to see and restore from these backups)
I don't know about speed though, most likely "real" FTP based backups are done somewhat differently, to compensate for the low IOPs of FTP based connections.

Back