• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to setup a SFTP account in Plesk

onki

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
ubuntu 20.4
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian 18.0.40
Hi,

I am in the need of a SFTP account on one of my domains.
There is no way to do so what I have tried so far.
Is it true that only regular ftp users can be setup at the moment?
I understand that SFTP has only parts of the name in common with FTP but SFTP is a very common thing for data transfer today.
Is there a hidden option or so in PLesk to setup SFTP accounts?

Best regards

Is there a specific reason you need another SSH account for use of FTP? If it's just because you want a secure way of transferring files, why not just create FTP accounts and enable FTP over TLS for the encryption?

Currently, SFTP is only available for the system user of the subscription (the first user account that owns the subscription). The reason for that is that SFTP is an SSH connection with FTP on top. FTPS is an FTP connection with SSL/TLS. IMHO for all common applications, FTPS is just as secure as SFTP, but that seems to be a matter of taste.
If you would like to see an option where you can add more SFTP user accounts to the same subscription, please vote for the feature request here:

I need SFTP for an external application that stores data on the server.
Use of FTP with TLS is not supported by this application.
Since this app has nothing to do with the web domain (website, mail etc.) I don't want to use the general login for safety reasons.

Best regards
Onki

If you have root access to your server, you can add a user account through the shell and use that account for sftp. It will then be completely independent from Plesk.

Back