• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Install Command Via SSH

B

Bitzdirect

Hi All

I am a total newbie to SSH etc. and would be grateful if someone can share the ssh command to install yum as we need to update our mysql to version 4 for one of our accounts.

We had a reseller account and have just upgraded to a linux vps server which is running plesk 8.0 so all is new to us.

If anyone can help also provide step by step installation or a link maybe where we can view documentation so we can get our database upgraded we would be very grateful or if not i am willing to pay for someone to upgrade the database let me know costs etc.

Thanks
Alan

What OS is on the box? If it is a RedHat type version it should have yum installed already. See if /etc/yum.conf exists. If not try using up2date to install yum.

#up2date -i yum

Originally posted by phoenixisp
What OS is on the box? If it is a RedHat type version it should have yum installed already. See if /etc/yum.conf exists. If not try using up2date to install yum.

#up2date -i yum

Hi

Thank you for your reply our OS is Fedora Core according to the box stats also i dont think yum is installed as i done the commands as mentioned but we get: No such file or directory or command not found.

Many Thanks
Alan

Installing yum on a VPS is not something you can do with a single command. Do you need to install custom software? Otherwise you don't really need yum as your provider should keep your VPS up to date.

My VPS provider will not update by box, they say it's my responsibility and Yum was not installed on my VPS. Had to do that myself. And finding the right yum to install on legacy OS's was a real pain....

Bitzdirect, you will need to know the version number of your OS as the newer Yum versions will not run correctly on older boxes. So, do you have RH9, FC1,2,3,4 etc...?

I'd say a provider that gives you a VPS that you have to keep up to date yourself, but doesn't install the package manager (yum in this case) for you is not a very good provider.

True, they are not worth much, but at least I know that my server is up to date...

Originally posted by jwdick
My VPS provider will not update by box, they say it's my responsibility and Yum was not installed on my VPS. Had to do that myself. And finding the right yum to install on legacy OS's was a real pain....

Bitzdirect, you will need to know the version number of your OS as the newer Yum versions will not run correctly on older boxes. So, do you have RH9, FC1,2,3,4 etc...?

Hi

Thanks all for your help unfortinately we have spoken to our hosts (pipex) and they are the same they say the VPS is our responsibility and will have to install or hire someone to install for us.

Our OS details are as follows:

Version: psa v8.0.1_build80060728.17 os_FedoraCore 2

Hope this makes sense

Thanks
Alan

Anyone had any experience with godaddy as their virtual dedicated servers offer 4.1 as standard so thinking about that package.

Thanks

If you're on Fedora Core 2 you can go and install yum and all available updates, but keep in mind Fedora Core 2 is already EOL. Some third-party repositories (like ART) are still releasing some updates (PHP, MySQL), but the Fedora Project stopped releasing security updates. I'd start looking for another server...

Originally posted by breun
If you're on Fedora Core 2 you can go and install yum and all available updates, but keep in mind Fedora Core 2 is already EOL. Some third-party repositories (like ART) are still releasing some updates (PHP, MySQL), but the Fedora Project stopped releasing security updates. I'd start looking for another server...

Hi

Thanks for your help and providing the links i will have a go and see what happens if not i might do what breun mentioned and look for a new server, godaddy have an attractive package with mysql 4.1 as standard and cpanel as the control panel also their OS is Fedora Core 4.
Trouble is our existing provider is the fastest i have come accross so in two minds unless you guys can recommend a good one.

Thanks
Alan

Back