• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Is it possible to use SFTP instead of FTP(S) to upload websites / webapps (because it has a better performance!)

jmar83

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 10.x with most current updates
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.x with most current updates
Hi there

As title says: Is it possible to use SFTP instead of FTP(S) to upload websites / webapps (because it has a better performance!) ?

Thank you very much for your feedback(s). :)

theoretically, it's possible to log in via linux root user the select www root folder e.g. in WinSCP - but i don't think that's a good idea because of security and/or permissions when i upload in website's "www root" folder - maybe it will cause problems with permissions (maybe it's dependent to WinSCP permission inheritation configuration).

So: is it possible to enable it (SFTP access for upload website / webapp for a [1] selected website) via Plesk GUI?

Self-cite: <theoretically, it's possible to log in via linux root user the select www root folder e.g. in WinSCP - but i don't think that's a good idea because of security and/or permissions when i upload in website's "www root" folder - maybe it will cause problems with permissions (maybe it's dependent to WinSCP permission inheritation configuration)>

When i just want to use that for downloading website / webapp to my local PC (im my case to synchronize it to GIT repository after updating plugins from WordPress) it's OK - but maybe not for uploading website / webapp... ;-)

You can use SFTP with your subscription username if the subscription allows SSH access (e.g. chrooted SSH access). No additional configurations are necessary.

Hello

Thank you for your feedback. What means "subscription username"? The same username that will be used for standard" FTP access?

And: How to allow that - "chrooted SSH access" ?

The subscription user or "system user" is the user name that was established for FTP access when the subscription was setup. It is the first FTP user that exists in the subscription. This can have SSH access (additional FTP accounts cannot have SSH access).

SSH access can be granted on "Websites & Domains" > "Hosting & DNS" > "Hosting" in the section "SSH access".
1708931848292.png

Back